New OS install on HP EX490 through a client currently connected? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry did a search but could not find a response.....I have a EX490 from HP, and mistakenly have it in French language. If I buy the English OS how would I install as ther is no VGA, no optical etc - any way I can do it through the PC that I can connect currently?
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:46 PM

All replies

• There is, unfortunately, no way to install the generic Windows Home Server software without a lot of disassembly of your server. And if you do go that route, you'll be giving up the HP additions to the product.

Your best bet is probably to contact HP to see if you can get a set of English media for your server. It will be the same as the media you have now (Server Recovery DVD, Restore CD) but in English. If they can help you out (they may not be able to, I'm afraid; it will depend on licensing and distribution agreements in your area) you'll follow the instructions in the manuals you have to go through the HP server recovery process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Many thanks - is help....seems odd that would not be so easy.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:27 PM
  • And next question - what are the HP add-ins? How do I dismantle and how would I install directly? Any help or redirection appreciated. No help from HP.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:55 PM
  • And next question - what are the HP add-ins? How do I dismantle and how would I install directly? Any help or redirection appreciated. No help from HP.
    Frankly, if you're going to go the DIY route, you would be much better off building your own PC (instead of significantly hacking the pre-built HP box).
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:12 PM