locked
Disk removal taking 8 hours RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there,

    I removed a 600 gig disk with about 300 gig of data via RDP on the console using the wizard. I realized that the thing was set to sleep at 1230am but could not connect to the console to change that and in fact the server was virtually unusable as the disk was crunching away. The thing did go to sleep somehow and appeared to resume when it woke up although i can not see an progress bar of any kind. It started and went for 2 hours last night and so far has gone another 6 hours. All shares are unavailable and I can't get get the console up at all.

    Is there a process I can monitor so I know it is active via rdp in task manager so I know something is happening?
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 11:52 PM

Answers

  • Hi there,

    I removed a 600 gig disk with about 300 gig of data via RDP on the console using the wizard. I realized that the thing was set to sleep at 1230am but could not connect to the console to change that and in fact the server was virtually unusable as the disk was crunching away. The thing did go to sleep somehow and appeared to resume when it woke up although i can not see an progress bar of any kind. It started and went for 2 hours last night and so far has gone another 6 hours. All shares are unavailable and I can't get get the console up at all.

    Is there a process I can monitor so I know it is active via rdp in task manager so I know something is happening?
    This is just a guess, but I would assume drive removal is tied to Drive Extender (demigrator.exe).  However, I would just look for any activity in Task Manager.  If System Idle Process is at 99% the vast majority of the time, it's not doing much of anything.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:06 AM
    Moderator
  • Yes it almost took that long before storage available changed. However I had to again remove the disk which had 1 gig left on it. It then completed within 5 minutes. 2 addons failed to load so required removal and reinstall. Other than that is was "ok". Just pathetically slow for that data. USB 2 is a massive bottleneck. Bottom line it worked out ok but "several hours" is an understatement to say the least.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:08 PM

All replies

  • Hi there,

    I removed a 600 gig disk with about 300 gig of data via RDP on the console using the wizard. I realized that the thing was set to sleep at 1230am but could not connect to the console to change that and in fact the server was virtually unusable as the disk was crunching away. The thing did go to sleep somehow and appeared to resume when it woke up although i can not see an progress bar of any kind. It started and went for 2 hours last night and so far has gone another 6 hours. All shares are unavailable and I can't get get the console up at all.

    Is there a process I can monitor so I know it is active via rdp in task manager so I know something is happening?
    This is just a guess, but I would assume drive removal is tied to Drive Extender (demigrator.exe).  However, I would just look for any activity in Task Manager.  If System Idle Process is at 99% the vast majority of the time, it's not doing much of anything.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:06 AM
    Moderator
  • Demigrator is running at 0-8 % so I would assume it is doing the work. It has been going almost 11 hours so far. It just started to become responsive now. Free space on the disk being removed seems to be going down extremely slowly. I am guessing it moved the database/back ups first.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Sadly there isn't anything to show what's its doing. It can take 24 hours and longer.
    Just wait, it will finish
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Yes it almost took that long before storage available changed. However I had to again remove the disk which had 1 gig left on it. It then completed within 5 minutes. 2 addons failed to load so required removal and reinstall. Other than that is was "ok". Just pathetically slow for that data. USB 2 is a massive bottleneck. Bottom line it worked out ok but "several hours" is an understatement to say the least.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:08 PM
  • You didn't mention it was a USB disk - it will take significantly longer than a disk connected by SATA/SAS/IDE or eSATA.


    --
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:03 AM