More dumb questions ... after the beta RRS feed

• Question

• I do a lot of beta testing for all sorts fo things, plus I am a multimedia developer. I probably know the answers already, but these questions have to be asked, right? ;-)

Current install of WHS erases all hard drives on the server. So when the beta times out and I upgrade to release software, will I or will I not lose all my data? Will there be an upgrade option to WHS final?

[EDIT: This looks like a thorough answer http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1222230&SiteID=50]

By the way, the release docs say that there will be a standalone software option for WHS, but nothing I read elsewhere confirms that, talking only of pre-configured machines. Is this a big secret? Are we not supposed to tell?

I'd love to include something like Exchange Server to WHS. Just a baby version. Just for me and my wife to make synchronising our calendars and email and stuff with PocketPC and or Nokia phone nice and easy. What's the chance? I read elsewhere that Exchange Server is OUT becuase MS wants us to stump up for the full Server 2003 + Exchange Server rather than adding it to WHS ... but surely we can all see how cool it would be for the entire family to be able to sync more than just photos, video and music for an affordable price.

Please don't flame if I'm out of order. Just tell me to shut up  :-) I am very excited by what I see as possibilities for WHS, for both home users and small business users  - I fall into both categories - especially MOBILE users.

I am excited by developments like this

http://www.microvision.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSTxv0kqyVw

and how, coupled with the right home server solutions, I might never need to lug my laptop on the road ever again!

Friday, March 2, 2007 3:04 AM

All replies

• Exchange server wont be added to WHS. If you are wanting that sort of functionality then Windows Small Business Server is more for you. There will be a standalone version and the OEM option (i.e. HP MediaSmart Server). Remember there are no dumb questions ;)
    Friday, March 2, 2007 3:21 AM
  • I am pretty certain that Exchange is out as I have read it a few different places. The WHS team is very keen to keep the product clean and focused which could interprate in a good or a bad way :)

Not many home users can or would host their own email, and SBS already exists for small business users.

If features are to be added at this stage I think they have to fall into two categories

1. Be aimed at home users rather than business
    2. Add little to the complexity of the interface

As an example I think it's safe to say the vast majority of the beta community are hoping that WHS becomes more integrated with media features such as improving compatibilty and integration with Media Centre and extenders such as the XBox 360. It seems possible because it would fall into both of the above categories.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 12:11 PM
  •  Seerr wrote:

Not many home users can or would host their own email, and SBS already exists for small business users.

I know that Exchange is officially out ... but I like to stir the pot anyway ;-)

I disagree that home users don't have their own email setup. Most of my colleagues are tecchies or geeks of some sort, and many have their own domain and web site - domains like http://www.thesmithfamily.com/ for instance ... sorry about the awful muzak!!

As for SBS .. I have a small business. I work from home. So far the relative expense of SBS + Exchange has not been an attractive proposition for me for the sake of me and a couple of employees. WHS **is** being promoted as a solution for both home users **and** small businesses, so I think this is a completely relevant topic for small businesses with a small budget. Many home users are, like me, small businesses too. The media stuff is great for many families, but since WHS is technically a 'full' server, it is a mistake, IMHO, to overlook the possible added value for small businesses and geeky families.

However, knowing in advance that Exchange is not in the running right now, I was hoping that someone had some bright ideas or software suggestions that might fill the void  ;-)

Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:01 AM
  • I would guess it will not support an upgrade. I bet every build they release will require a fresh install including RTM. I believe they feel it's not worth their resources to have an upgrade on a server product because it would not be a frequently used feature and takes TONS of handling code.

That's just my guess.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:12 AM
  •  dude500 wrote:
    I would guess it will not support an upgrade. I bet every build they release will require a fresh install including RTM. I believe they feel it's not worth their resources to have an upgrade on a server product because it would not be a frequently used feature and takes TONS of handling code.

Actually, there's already an upgrade option in the beta. If you reinstall, you supposedly (because I haven't tried it) get the option of upgrading or doing a fresh installation.

I don't see Microsoft removing it.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:52 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

Actually, there's already an upgrade option in the beta. If you reinstall, you supposedly (because I haven't tried it) get the option of upgrading or doing a fresh installation.

I don't see Microsoft removing it.

Yup. See the quoted thread in my first post.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:52 PM