Server Backup Across Multiple Drives - Home Server 2011 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• How can I configure multiple hard drives to be used as a server backup drive pool? My Server has 2TB of data and I plugged in 3 external hard drives (a 1TB, a 0.5TB and another 0.5TB) but I can't seem to use all 3 for backup, only 1. I tried setting up the backup using all 3 external hard drives and the backup filled the first drive then failed. Then i tried setting up the the backup one drive at a time but that doesn't work either. It seems logical to me that if i setup the backup using all 3 drives that home server should just move onto the next drive after the first one fills but it doesn't seem to work that way...... I would really like to use these old external drives instead of buying a new 2TB drive, any suggestions?
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 10:09 PM

All replies

• How can I configure multiple hard drives to be used as a server backup drive pool? My Server has 2TB of data and I plugged in 3 external hard drives (a 1TB, a 0.5TB and another 0.5TB) but I can't seem to use all 3 for backup, only 1. I tried setting up the backup using all 3 external hard drives and the backup filled the first drive then failed. Then i tried setting up the the backup one drive at a time but that doesn't work either. It seems logical to me that if i setup the backup using all 3 drives that home server should just move onto the next drive after the first one fills but it doesn't seem to work that way...... I would really like to use these old external drives instead of buying a new 2TB drive, any suggestions?
    What you are trying to do is called "drive spanning" and it doesn't work.
    Monday, May 2, 2011 12:23 AM
  • LOL - I just asked this same question as well and thanks to the responses I received here's what we have:

1) The Server backup cannot span m ore than one disk, so whatever the size of a single disk is, that will be the limit of the backup size.

2) You can workaround by defining your backup to include only shares that will fit on one disk, Then, to backup the rest of data, run the Server 2008 Backup program directly and choose the option to perform a one time backup. Backup those folders not already backed up by your scheduled Server backup. If needed, you can do more than one onetime backup.

It's not perfect, but it should do the trick.

- Hannes

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:18 AM
  • This is just ridiculous, how hard would it be to split the backup across two drives? If I can do it manually why can't the server do it automatically. I have 5 PCs and lots of data and you are telling me I have no automatic backup solution to back up all my data and my PC backups? In WHS V1 I could split a backup across as many drives as I wanted. I don't want drive spanning, I just want split backups. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

-Bill

Saturday, May 7, 2011 1:37 AM
  • You have to split up your backup in more than one schedule and even more important, the data in that backup schedule must be less then the size of the backup disk.

It's not true that you have to run single backups and that you're limited to only 1 schedule. You can configure as many as you want in the CLI with the command wbadmin. I assume this tool is available in the windows home server 2011 cause it's based on 2008 R2. If not you should be able to install it one way or the other.

More information about the wbadmin tool : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742083(WS.10).aspx

edit : Forgot to mention, you have to schedule the wbadmin as a task in the task scheduler on times you want it to run. You can also schedule it to transfer the backup to another machine by giving a target UNC location. 

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:41 PM
  • If you've got the same size disks, like I do, you can just span them using motherboard on board raid 0, which you likely have... if a drive fails, all you loose are your backups.  I'm using multiple 2TB disks this way.  That way windows just thinks its one giant disk.  You could also use another raid level to give you some data protection if you're worried about the backups, just like with the data volume.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:03 PM
  • 76 That's correct but you are still limited to a 2TB server backup using the Dashboard irrespective of the size of your RAID array.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:35 PM
  • 76 That's correct but you are still limited to a 2TB server backup using the Dashboard irrespective of the size of your RAID array.

A workaround is to use another backup program than the built in.

WHS 2011 RTM coming alive, taking over WHS v.1 duties.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:22 PM