Getting "You are not authorized to perform this action." in Partner Forums RRS feed

• Question

• I get this error in partner forums, but not technet forums.

For example, let's use a thread I created: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerwinserver/thread/a7cc6b71-c5bc-4039-82d6-302c52bb862a

If I go to this page directly, or through "My Alerts", I may get this error on the first try.  If I get the error, I can click refresh and it may or may not work.  If I hit refresh enough, the page will load successfully, and I won't get the error.  If I click refresh after I get the page to load successfully, I may get the error again.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:13 PM

Answers

• I don't use the partner forums, so I can't tell you if your issue is specific to these. (Your "Partner ID" is another one than the "Live ID" you use elsewhere, if that's the problem.) On TechNet, the message "You are not authorized to perform this action." normally means one of two things:

1) Nothing special. The servers are too busy to respond and you get either Error 500 ("not able to service your request") or the above message, there is a certain randomness. One nice example is that I even got this when trying to look on my own profile. This could explain that the message appears sometimes, sometimes not, and you have to refresh the page often or switch between different pages until the situation goes back to normal.

2) A thread which draws your attention was removed at just the same time you tried to look at it. It is moved, in this case, to a moderator-only section where you don't have access.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hey, I am a new partner to the forums with a server problem, I found the forum then I got the same message when I tried to post. It then kicked me out to I believe forums for general users. So yeh I think it is a bigger error
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:07 PM
  • BUMP

Forum admins, any info for us partners who cant access the partners forums?

Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:50 AM
  • My turn to BUMP.

Friday, June 4, 2010 5:19 PM
  • I joined the Partner site yesterday, associated myself with our corporate account and received confirmation Emails at each step ... but every time I try to access a support forum I get the "You are not authorized to perform this action." page come up.  It's not an encouraging start!

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:50 AM
  • :-) WTF!!  me too....
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 2:25 PM
  • No response from Microsoft, bump, please.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:00 PM
  • I don't use the partner forums, so I can't tell you if your issue is specific to these. (Your "Partner ID" is another one than the "Live ID" you use elsewhere, if that's the problem.) On TechNet, the message "You are not authorized to perform this action." normally means one of two things:

1) Nothing special. The servers are too busy to respond and you get either Error 500 ("not able to service your request") or the above message, there is a certain randomness. One nice example is that I even got this when trying to look on my own profile. This could explain that the message appears sometimes, sometimes not, and you have to refresh the page often or switch between different pages until the situation goes back to normal.

2) A thread which draws your attention was removed at just the same time you tried to look at it. It is moved, in this case, to a moderator-only section where you don't have access.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 11:21 AM