none
How are messages sorted RRS feed

• Question

• I specify messages should be sorted by most recent post (which means most recent post first).

I viewed a forum at 11 AM on Dec 5.  As I scroll down, I come to a message where the last reply has a time stamp of "23 hours 17 minutes ago".  That equates to 11:43 AM on Dec 4.  The next message down has a time stamp of 12:23 Pm on Dec 4.  It is obviously more recent than the preceding message.  Why is it out of order?

Additionally, why is a more recent message stamped with a fixed date and time while an older message is stamped with a delta?  I would like to see anything more than a couple of hours old stamped with a time and not a delta.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Could have been some glitch but difficult to say without a link to the view. As to time delta display options, there aren't any. What you see is what you get. Its unlikely anything would change at this point. MSDN / TechNet forums will soon be moving to another platform.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/teamblog/introducing-microsoft-qanda

https://docs.microsoft.com/answers/articles/388/microsoft-qa-frequently-asked-questions.html

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:57 PM
  • Threads where the last post is less than 24 hours ago show the number of hours and minutes in the past. Older threads show a date and time, but in the past I decided the date/time is possibly in UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, which used to be called GMT). That might explain what you observed. The date 12:23 Pm on Dec 4 is in a time zone hours to the East of you, so was more than 24 hours ago at the time you observed it.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:59 PM
  • I think I can confirm that the dates shown on forum threads are most likely in UTC. The image below shows that I replied December 5, at 6:29 pm. But I captured the screenshot at 12:54 pm December 6 (less than 24 hours later if the dates are in my time zone). And Dave Patrick proposed the reply as an answer 23 hours 32 minutes ago. This only makes sense because my time zone is 6 hours East of the prime meridian. 6:29 pm December 5 UTC is actually 12:29 pm Dec. 5 in my time zone, which is 24 hours 25 minutes before I captured the screenshot.

I would need to record the time of my replies in my time zone, then compare to the thread date more than 24 hours later, to verify further.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, December 6, 2019 7:12 PM
  • Richard, I can confirm from trips down this same road previously that times here are UTC.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 7, 2019 12:54 AM