Configure HP MediaSmart server for remote access RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP MediaSmart server and using a WRT54GL as the router.  The HP Server is not plugged directly into the router.  I do have UPnP enabled but it is not able to configure the router.  Assuming it has to be directly connected.  I'm trying to configure my Mediasmart server for remote access to be able to share files, pics, etc with the family.  I too have registered a domain name using the TZO service and configuration built into the mediasmart server.  My guess at this point is that my router is not configured properly to route certain traffic to the mediasmart server.  However, I'm not finding much as to how to configure my router manually or what ports I need to configure.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:51 PM

Answers

• I have a HP MediaSmart server and using a WRT54GL as the router.  The HP Server is not plugged directly into the router.  I do have UPnP enabled but it is not able to configure the router.  Assuming it has to be directly connected.  I'm trying to configure my Mediasmart server for remote access to be able to share files, pics, etc with the family.  I too have registered a domain name using the TZO service and configuration built into the mediasmart server.  My guess at this point is that my router is not configured properly to route certain traffic to the mediasmart server.  However, I'm not finding much as to how to configure my router manually or what ports I need to configure.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    If uPnP doesn't work, you need to login to your router and manually forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to the IP address of your server.  As to how to do the actual configuration of your router, you should check the documentation that came with the router and/or the Linksys website for support.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:24 AM

All replies

If uPnP doesn't work, you need to login to your router and manually forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to the IP address of your server.  As to how to do the actual configuration of your router, you should check the documentation that came with the router and/or the Linksys website for support.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Worked like a champ...now to dig deeper into all the fun stuff I can do with this capability.  I assume there are some good websites out there to take advantage of using this functionality?  Is there more than just the Webshare with the photos?

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Worked like a champ...now to dig deeper into all the fun stuff I can do with this capability.  I assume there are some good websites out there to take advantage of using this functionality?  Is there more than just the Webshare with the photos?
    It's designed that way to be easy-to-use.  In addition, logging into the server for any reason (including making adjustments to the default website or IIS) is unsupported and not recommended.  The only supported method of installing anything on WHS is through add-ins.  You should check mswhs.com or wegotserved.com for a list of available add-ins.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:09 AM