SBS Server 2008 & the server version of Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

•  

Its now been announced that the yet to be released Small Business Server 2008 will come with something currently called "Windows Live OneCare for Server".  Can you elaborate on what this will be?  Will this product work in concert with desktop deployments of Live OneCare so that it becomes the "Hub"?

I know that a beta of Live OneCare licensing is being tried presently to sell packs of licenses to businesses.  If I and fellow SBSC consultants know that the future of SBS includes that type of integrated relationship it will provide a rationale purchasing point to consider.  Choosing Live OneCare for business PC's now is relevante else the client be locked behind another vendor's solution with a one or two year contract.  This is one instance where foreknowledge will affect immediate decisions as well as the future adoption of the yet to be released product.

Can someone in the know provide a little more insight on OneCare and the future integration with the SBS product?

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:50 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, the announcement is pretty much all that we know so far. I have no details and await more information just as you do. I suspect that this will enter beta soon, based on the availability projection of 2nd half of 2008.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:04 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the announcement is pretty much all that we know so far. I have no details and await more information just as you do. I suspect that this will enter beta soon, based on the availability projection of 2nd half of 2008.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Yep, I need to get into that Beta.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:18 PM
  • Here is the link to try the beta out: http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-Us/server/default.htm

Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:32 AM
  • Thanks for that link to that information.  To me it seems to be nearly unnecessary to provide a trial.  This is due to the fact that SBS 2008 includes the trial from the point of initial installation.  Of the types of servers you can choose to install OneCare for Server the only non-SBS server is Server 2008 64 bit.  Also the requirements indicate this server must be an AD DC with all FSMO roles.  It isn't likely that a small business would purchase such a server since there is better value in the SBS suite for such an AD DC.

The SBSC colleagues I've spoken to about OneCare for Server are curious but don't like the idea of using a home based and named product for a business.  It has the feel of kludge all over it and we don't want that image perception associated with our businesses.  Right or wrong that is the perception.  The good thing is that now due to a lack of available SBS 2008 AV choices most will turn the trial on as an intermediate measure until Trend and others catch up.  This is a small window of opportunity but if OneCare performs perhaps it can gain a foothold into this marketplace.

Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:02 PM