Cannot Install Client Connector Due To SSDP Discovery Disabled... Any Other Way To Install? RRS feed

• Question

• My work-issued laptop has "SSDP Discovery" disabled, and appears to be what is the issue with my getting about 95% through the Client Connector install, and then is bombing out:

ClientDeploy.log =

[3400] 111007.134040.8191: ClientSetup: Ensuring that ServiceName=SSDPSRV is Running
    [3400] 111007.134040.9632: ClientSetup: Could not ensure SSDPSRV service is Running: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Access is denied
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ServiceUtility.SetServiceStartType(String serviceName, String machineName, ServiceStartType startType)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.PrepareClientTask.Run(WizData data)
    [3400] 111007.134040.9722: ClientSetup: Exiting PrepareClientTask.Run

Is there ANY way to install the Client Connector "manually" or something that does not need to have this SSDP Discovery enabled?

Thanks!

Brian
    Friday, October 7, 2011 9:20 PM

All replies

• I don't know if it will work but you may try this.

Edit your host file at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and add the server name and IP to the file. 

IE

192.168.1.XXX HomeServername

Friday, October 7, 2011 10:25 PM
  • On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:20:35 +0000, btomasie wrote:

Is there ANY way to install the Client Connector "manually" or something that does not need to have this SSDP Discovery enabled?

Why not just start the service?

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.

Saturday, October 8, 2011 7:23 AM
  • On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 07:23:45 +0000, Paul Adare wrote:

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:20:35 +0000, btomasie wrote:

Why not just start the service?

Sorry, missed that you had a work issued laptop. If you can't get an admin
    at your work to enable the service then you're pretty much out of luck.

There's also a good chance that your work is not going to want you storing
    work related files on your home server anyway.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    CRT: A movie about a little alien who forgets his telephone number and must
    write home.

Saturday, October 8, 2011 7:51 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but I added the IP into the hosts file prior to starting, so that was already done.  So that's not it.  It's definitely that service.

Paul, you are correct, the service is set to disabled and is completely greyed out from me making any change to it.  I hear ya on the "the may not want you storing work related files...." but the other side of that is if the HDD took a cr*p on me right now, I am completely hosed!!  Or, if I attached an external drive to it for backing up... it could be easily stolen out of my house.

I feel like I'm the only one on my team that IS worrying about this possibility.

So right now, no one has ever bumped in to this and has been able to get a solution!!??

Thanks,
       Brian

Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:25 PM
  • UPDATE:  I just got off the phone with a level-1 I.T. support person, and was able to get him to give me the local admin password.  :)

So I log in now locally as the Administrator, and go back in to Services, and it STILL is set to Disabled, and still all greyed out from me being able to change it.  :(

I am guessing these is some kind of "policy" set upon boot-up?  Anyone know how, as a local admin of the machine, I can temporarily change this?

Thanks,
       Brian

Saturday, October 8, 2011 1:55 PM
  • I am guessing these is some kind of "policy" set upon boot-up?  Anyone know how, as a local admin of the machine, I can temporarily change this?

The policy is almost certainly applied from the domain the machine is a part of, and no, I don't know of a way you can override that locally. Nor should you; if you can make a good case for an exception to your corporate IT, then do so, otherwise you risk censure at work or even loss of your job.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 5:57 AM