Windows Home Server - Storage Space incorrect in explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Been runnng WHS for 6 months now with no issue. Running it on a vanilla Dell Box with a single 1TB drive. I just recently purchased a 2TB drive and added it to my storage pool using the console. Console shows 2.73TB total size and 1.45TB free.

In explorer, my D drive shows total size of 911GB and 1.40TB free. Ran a chkdsk on the volume, but it didn't seem to help. If I check the properties, used space  shows up as "+*+.+-/,0,0(0 bytes.

Anyone seen this before? Anyone know how this can be corrected?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dan  
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:40 PM

Answers

• Logging in locally to Windows Home Server is unsupported. If you are not doing that, you will not see that wrong looking information (besides if you attempt to map drive letters to the shared folders).

What you see is a cosmetic issue, which is caused by a fix to make Vista see the entire free disk space in the storage pool instead of only on D:.
    Before this fix Vista rejected to copy selected files, if their size together was larger than the free space on drive D: on the server.
    Since this minor bug has not been fixed for a long time, I don't see it go away any more.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:30 PM

All replies

• Logging in locally to Windows Home Server is unsupported. If you are not doing that, you will not see that wrong looking information (besides if you attempt to map drive letters to the shared folders).

What you see is a cosmetic issue, which is caused by a fix to make Vista see the entire free disk space in the storage pool instead of only on D:.
    Before this fix Vista rejected to copy selected files, if their size together was larger than the free space on drive D: on the server.
    Since this minor bug has not been fixed for a long time, I don't see it go away any more.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Hi,
    Olaf are you shure this is a cosmetic issue only? I have the same problem and it not only shows when localy logged in to the Windows home server. Also the share used space indicated on the connected workstations shows someting like   ""+*+.+-".
    When I try to save a file with PhotoShop it indicates "Could not save "filname" because the disk is full"

Kind greets, Peter
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:19 PM
  • It's more than a cosmetic issue, and less than a bug. It's a "design decision". In order to allow client computers to copy large amounts of data to the server when the system drive (specifically D:) is nearly full, Drive Extender has to "fool" the OS into stating that the total free space in the storage pool is the free space available on each share. But not all software looks only at free space; some looks at disk size as well, and in that case it may still balk.

As Olaf has said, Windows Home Server has worked this way for some time, and I agree with him: this behavior is unlikely to change at this point.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Same problem here, I get commas instead of full stops (must be a localization thing). I should have about 1/2 TB free, but it won't let me save a 10 GB file. The issue is as cosmetic as having your nose on the back of your head :)

But there is a good explanation here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/971d4d14-f046-4d87-a6b4-51c6fdd21f1a. Apart from being slow when moving from share to share (when the files are actually on the same drive) this should work as expected, making the issue cosmetic.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:48 AM
  • Confirmed, working as it should if you don't care about the cosmetics.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:07 PM