Small level Internet Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if anyone new if there was an Add-In for backing up a home server through the internet to another home server.  I know that there is a built in S3 type of an account, but I am talking about something much less expensive, simple, etc.  I have a friend that also has a home server and what we would like to do is to back up each others info to our systems.  In other words, maybe once a week each system will Sync with the other to see if there is data that needs to be updated offsite.  We each have several gigabytes of files that include a lot of media files.  I rip a lot of my DVD so that I can stream them to the TV's in my house and if my house burned down, I not only loose my home server, but also all my orginal DVDs.  Same for my friend.  I have plenty of disk space to store all his info and he has plenty to store mine.  The problem is, unless we make it an automated system, it will be just like having backup software on you PC, but always being behind.
    It would seem like this could be done pretty easy, but I am not a programmer nor do I have the time.  There might be commercial software out there, but I looked at cloud backups, etc. and didn't see anything that would work.  I even thought about putting a Windows server up at my Son's home to do the backups, but can't seem to find software that I could make work automatically on my end.
    Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks... RCH1
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:02 PM

All replies

• There is no add-in to do what you want. What you want is somewhat impractical in any case; restoring your server from afar would take an extremely long time (and might well exceed your and/or your friend's ISP bandwidth caps if any). Instead I would use the tools built in to the product to back up the shares to an external drive, and swap drives weekly. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:15 PM
  • It is possible with Live Sync and other such programs - at least for shared folders. Though as Ken said, it would be a long time to transfer.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:49 PM