What happens if the system drive fails...etc RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a few questions about WHS as I received an HP Media Smart with WHS and I am trying to decide if I want to keep it or not.  Although it is not Raid supported, I do see many advantages to WHS and I can get past the no raid support if the following questions are answered:

Assume I have 4 HD's installed in the HP WHS

1.  If the Operating System drive fails and I put in a new drive and reinstall WHS from cd does it see all of my current data on my other non OS drives automatically?

a.  Do I have to recreate new shares and define duplication folders?

2.  What about duplicated folders from the old failed drive stored on other drives?

3.  When I am reinstalling WHS do I have to be concerned about overwriting the data on the drives that did not fail?

4.  If I lose any non OS drive that has duplicated folders on it and I put in a new drive, do the duplicated folders rebuild automatically?

5.  If I don't replace the non Operating System failed drive with the duplicated folders rebuild on another dirve automatically?

6.  If my WHS hardware fails but the drives are still good and I remove a drive from my WHS and place it in a Vista Ultimate computer can I see the files and data?

7.  Can I encrypt folders on WHS?

8.  Can I ghost the OS drive and use that drive if my Primary OS drive fails without having to install the OS?

Thanks for helping with the answers to my questions.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:31 PM

All replies

• 1.  I can't answer conclusively, since I haven't rebuilt my primary yet, but all posts that I've seen indicate that rebuilding your primary drive will not effect data on the other drives and shares should still exist as created.
    2.  ? Not sure of the question here.  The primary drive is created as a 20GB system partition and the remainder is called a data volume which is part of your storage.  Duplicated folder on other drives will not be effected if you primary drive is replaced.
    3.  No.
    4.  Yes.  I have experienced this myself.  (see here)
    5.  ?  If you have a failed drive and you don't replace it, you will still have to remove it from the pool and then the system will substract that storage from the total and redistribute any duplicated folders.
    6.  I haven't tried this yet, but the white papers from Microsoft state that this is possible.
    7.  You can give permissions to folders on WHS.  Since the drives are formatted NTFS, getting around the permissions would be difficult.  As for true encryption of files or folders, you would have to try it.  I don't believe WHS has that capability, but I'm sure that there are 3rd party programs that would do that, then WHS would simply store those files just as it does everything else.
    8.  Again, not something I've done myself, but other posters have indicated varying levels of success with this route.

Be sure to utilize the search feature, since many of these questions are not original.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:09 PM