My 2 week status. RRS feed

• Question

• It's been 2 weeks since installing WHS.  I'm a newbie with server applications, so I'm learning as I go.

My server is an HP box, refurbished A1600N purchased the same day I was accepted into this beta program, is amd 64 3800+ with 1 gig ram, 500 and 200 gig sata drives, 200 and 160 gig pata drives and a linksys gigabit adapter.  On board network and sound are disabled and DVD drive was taken out after the install and put into an external case for future use, along with monitor, keyboard and mouse.

About 170 gig of total storage so far is used for files, duplication and backups, and so far, 3 laptops, an iMac ( all wireless) and xbox 360 are connected to WHS through Dlink DIR-655 gigabit wireless n router.  They are wired if large files need to be moved.

Backups:  works great!  Can't believe I am finally consistantly backing up my laptops after all these years, and restore is a breeze through wired but haven't tried to restore via wireless yet.  Didn't really believe the server was waking up the laptops from hibernation until I actually saw it happening and is definately a plus.  One thing I would like to see in the future is concurrent backups, rather than current way of backing up one device at a time.  Another thing I would love to see is auto backup of my iMac.

Central storage:  I've moved all of my available family pics and mp3 music, along with all my files, and loved the way I can access and stream these from any of my laptops and imac.  (Since WHS is beta, I do keep additional duplicates in an external storage)  Home movies are next to go on as I convert them from dvds.  One thing I would like to see that is not server related but xbox 360 related, is that xbox really needs to support more than the Microsoft's wmv format.  It is making my life difficult, as I haven't had any success converting anything to this format.

Remote access:  Setup and working.  One of the best features of WHS, as I longer carry a flashcard with my data to work.  (Also keep a separate backup from server)  I guess I'm lucky that my work IT dept. has not blocked any of the ports needed to access my WHS server.

So far, bugs I'm encountering are already reported, but some of the things I would like to see in the future are:

Passwords:  I would like to be able to independently log in to WHS server when I need to use them and log off, rather than always connected when I'm on my laptop.  For backup purpose, a feature where I can specify my laptop password in WHS so that it can log in and do its thing and log off.  Not sure if this feature is possible, but I don't like to use passwords on my laptop whenever I start it up.

Ability to specify duplicate or don't duplicate subfolders, especially under music, photo and video folders.  Some of these files organized under these folders, I really don't care if I lose it or not and some I do.

Remote Desktop: I should be able to access my xp home and vista home premium laptops remotely without being forced to upgrade to xp pro and vista ultimate.

Ability to access the WHS remote access using webpages, so that it is more presentable and easier when family and friends are accessing the server, especially the photos, videos and music folders.

Now that I'm "hooked", read addicted, on server setup, I would like for WHS to expand its ability, so that It can also act as media server, a real everyday home server.  My server is located in my family room right next to my large screen TV, so I would love the WHS to be the complete home solution.  I know, I know, I've already read the blog, "Why doesn't Windows Home Server do Foo?" but I can still dream.

Another thing I would like to see is that, having an ability to attach an external drive and be able to access and control the external drive and contents from WHS console.  I know I can with monitor, keyboard and mouse hooked up to the server, but I actually don't own a monitor, so being able to see this drive from WHS console would save me from having to borrow one from someone.  Hooking a drive into usb port to move large amount of data is always faster than through wired or wireless.

Overall, two thumbs up!  I needed and wanted a home server but was too intimidated to do it until now.  WHS was just too easy to setup and implement.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:00 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately any OS below XP Pro or Vista Business doesn't have the necessary components to support remote desktop.

You can connect from any supported OS to the WHS via remote desktop, but you cannot remote desktop from the WHS into a home PC running XP Home or Vista Home flavours.

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:29 PM

All replies

•  inlvnv wrote:

Remote Desktop: I should be able to access my xp home and vista home premium laptops remotely without being forced to upgrade to xp pro and vista ultimate.

I don't personally have any version of Vista, but according to the "getting started" docs, you should be able to use Vista Home Basic, and not have to use Vista Premium.

Or am I thinking about somthing else?

Supported client computer operating systems

The following home computer operating systems are supported to work with Windows Home Server:

(Basically any XP version besides Home Edition)

The Windows Vista™ Operating System

Windows Vista Home Basic

Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Ultimate

The Windows XP Operating System

Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Windows XP Professional with SP2

Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP2

Windows XP Tablet Edition with SP2

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Unfortunately any OS below XP Pro or Vista Business doesn't have the necessary components to support remote desktop.

You can connect from any supported OS to the WHS via remote desktop, but you cannot remote desktop from the WHS into a home PC running XP Home or Vista Home flavours.

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Inlvnv, that was an excellent write up and hit pretty much every like and dislike I have had on WHS.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Passwords:  I would like to be able to independently log in to WHS server when I need to use them and log off, rather than always connected when I'm on my laptop.  For backup purpose, a feature where I can specify my laptop password in WHS so that it can log in and do its thing and log off.  Not sure if this feature is possible, but I don't like to use passwords on my laptop whenever I start it up.

Are you saying you do not want to have to input your password on your laptop but instead want it to Autologon with the password. If so that is easy. Just use "control userpasswords2" from the run cmd and then clear the check box at users must enter a --------- , click apply then input the user and password you want to auto logon.

I am not sure if that is what you were talking about but it might help someone.

Monday, March 12, 2007 4:12 PM
  •  Richard Holland wrote:

Unfortunately any OS below XP Pro or Vista Business doesn't have the necessary components to support remote desktop.

Actually, you can use XP MCE as a Remote Desktop client.

Monday, March 12, 2007 8:04 PM
  •  dibbkd wrote:
     Richard Holland wrote:

Unfortunately any OS below XP Pro or Vista Business doesn't have the necessary components to support remote desktop.

Actually, you can use XP MCE as a Remote Desktop client.

I did say any of the OS's can be used as a client - but anything below Vista Business or XP Pro cannot be used as a remote desktop "target". You can remote desktop FROM them, but not TO them.

XP MCE might be different, I can't comment as I no longer use it - but it's based on XP Pro IIRC, so might still have the necessary services still installed to be able to be a remote desktop target.

Monday, March 12, 2007 8:08 PM
  • thanks for the tip on "control userpasswords2," I could certainly use it.  I would prefer not to auto connect to WHS when booting up my laptop.   Rather, once my laptop is up and running, I want to have the option to enter password and connect to WHS when I need to access it, then disconnect from WHS when I'm done.  Just my preference.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:15 AM
  • Unfortunately this is the case, so I may end up upgrading to vista ultimate some time down the road.  I'm just kicking myself for not doing the upgrade to vista ultimate when I ordered my latest laptop.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:19 AM