70 - 433 Exam Structure (SQL Server Developer) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm planning to sit for the MCTS in the above SQL exam. I want to know about the exam structure whether is it MCQ or Lab type and as well as how many questions I'll get and out of that how many I have to get to pass the examination.

Since this is my first Microsoft Exam I do not have any idea on the exam structure, So your replies are mostly welcomed.

Regards Thurupathan My blog : http://thurupathan.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

More and more exams will contain labquestions besides MCQ. In previous years it was all MCQ but these days you really have to show your skills ;-) Be prepared for around 50 questions for which you wil get approx. two hours time. You'll get plenty of time readiing the procedures of the exam which is not deducted of your actual exam time. During the exam you can see how much time has elapsed. At the end you have can still re-evaluate the questions you have doubts about. How many you need to pass the exam? That's not a standard and might vary from exam to exam. But go for a minimum of 80% just to be on the save side where 100% score is 1000 points. So do the math and figure out what you need.

First exam? Prepare as much as you can. Have a good night sleep the evening before you take the exam. Don't go stressing around 5 minutes before the exam. Register on the prometric site (www.prometric.com). Try to relax before starting the exam. Read everything carefully before you start.

Don't panic if you don't know the first question because that might happen. Stay calm and move on to the next question. Re-evaluate the questions you had doubts about at the end. Remember you are allowed to make a mistake (won't get you a perfect score but that shouldn't be your objective anyway).

When you are done you'll see if you have passed the exam right away. When the exam is done you'll receive a printed scoresheet stating what your score is, what area of the exam needs development (your weak points) and which areas are strong. Keep this scoresheet because this will be your prove that you did take the exam (and hopefully passed!). After about a week your information will be on your transcript which you can see logging into the mcp site with your mcpid.

Hope this gets you started a bit.

Good luck

Maurice

• Marked as answer by Thuru VMVP Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

More and more exams will contain labquestions besides MCQ. In previous years it was all MCQ but these days you really have to show your skills ;-) Be prepared for around 50 questions for which you wil get approx. two hours time. You'll get plenty of time readiing the procedures of the exam which is not deducted of your actual exam time. During the exam you can see how much time has elapsed. At the end you have can still re-evaluate the questions you have doubts about. How many you need to pass the exam? That's not a standard and might vary from exam to exam. But go for a minimum of 80% just to be on the save side where 100% score is 1000 points. So do the math and figure out what you need.

First exam? Prepare as much as you can. Have a good night sleep the evening before you take the exam. Don't go stressing around 5 minutes before the exam. Register on the prometric site (www.prometric.com). Try to relax before starting the exam. Read everything carefully before you start.

Don't panic if you don't know the first question because that might happen. Stay calm and move on to the next question. Re-evaluate the questions you had doubts about at the end. Remember you are allowed to make a mistake (won't get you a perfect score but that shouldn't be your objective anyway).

When you are done you'll see if you have passed the exam right away. When the exam is done you'll receive a printed scoresheet stating what your score is, what area of the exam needs development (your weak points) and which areas are strong. Keep this scoresheet because this will be your prove that you did take the exam (and hopefully passed!). After about a week your information will be on your transcript which you can see logging into the mcp site with your mcpid.

Hope this gets you started a bit.

Good luck

Maurice

• Marked as answer by Thuru VMVP Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Thank you for information,

And it's good information to know that the exam is more on labs than MCQs. Because I thougt we will be given a bunch of MCQs where we have to select the correct answer.

Regards Thurupathan My blog : http://thurupathan.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Hmm ... I wich I could recall the NDA agreement I signed with the exam ...

OK. I think I do not break the NDA if I tell you these points:

1) I did the exam a few month ago (so not that much time passed till then!).

2) The MeasureUp and SelfTestSoftware practice questions try to be as near at the exam as possible.

3) I own the practice Question about the 70-433 of measureup and these had NO LAB at all in it. All questions was a simple selection of the right answer or right answers. There are even a few questions, were you have to select some items from one listbox to another listbox so you have only the items required and these in the right order.

So I hope, that you agree: I did not gave any details about my exam contents. Now you can try to make whatever conclusion you want.

Ohh and at the end: The 70-433 Exam targeted the SQL Server 2008. Microsoft maybe change something to 2008 R2 without telling us in time. At least something like that happened to some windows server 2008 exams. (I have no knowledge about something like that but it might be possible to come ...)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:58 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I am preparing for this exam and practising from MeasureUp.

What are these labquestions? And where can I get these to practice? I can see only MCQs in MeasureUp Practice Tests.

Could anyone please guide?

Thanks

HK

Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hi

This might sound silly. I'm planning to take the test as well. However, are the certified courses mandatory?

I just purchased the Micro Training Kit and I was hoping that would be enough material to study with.

Also, do you think this test requires many years of experience? Maybe 2? 3 year?

Thank you.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Could anyone please guide about the type of questions to be asked in this exam?  Do I need to purchase any test packages to practice lab questions?

Thanks in advance

HK

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:12 AM
  • I hope I will get a reply regarding the lab questions. Where can i get these type of practice questions?

Thanks

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:13 PM
  • You do not need to buy any practice questions. But they can be helpfull when preparing for the exams. And if you have a free 2nd trial you could simply try it first and if you failed you can get the practice tests of MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware.

And I wrote already a little about the questions. I cannot give more details when I don't want to break the NDA I signed.

Konrad

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Friday, October 15, 2010 2:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks a lot!
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:26 PM