Windows Retail RRS feed

• Question

• I have just purchased a retail version of XP Pro from a charity on ebay. Can anyone tell me what to look for to make sure it is Genuine, it says on the box including SP2 and it is sealed, but until I get it in my hands I wont know if it's genuine or not.

Are there any fake retail ones floating around, I have seen loads of OEM fakes on Ebay but not sure on retail - what to look for in fakes? The "How to tell" site gives loads of information on OEM fakes and examples but little on retail.

Any ideas?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hello Banger 696,

Thank you for visiting our forum today :-). Please visit http://www.howtotell.com and take time to surf the various information here. Next examine the Windows XP you purchased against the genuine and non-genuine examples available on our site. This will be one great avenue to check the validity of what you purchased. Also did you look @ the feedback of whomever you made the purchase? Banger it is hard to identify what versions some people are trying to pass off as originals. Have you scanned the disc with a good anti-virus program yet? Some non-genuine versions of Windows have been known to have various virus's imbedded on the disc.  Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine.

You can install the XP you purchased and run the MGA Diagnostic Tool if you like. Then we can analyze the results and provide you with more insight. Banger if you read the announcements @ the top of our forum you will see the details steps for running the Diagnostic Tool and pasting the results back to us.

Take care and thank you again for visiting us.

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:54 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Well it arrived this morning, everything is Genuine and is now installed.

Differences noticed between the Genuine and fake are on the COA strip is actually interwoven and you can see fibres instead of being clean cut. Product key has interwoven strip also and the disk itself the copper hologram is under the surface whereas the fake you can feel its been printed on top of the disk. When installing it shows the yellow product key sticker for retail in the dialog box.

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

• Edited by Banger696 Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:59 PM Added details
    • Marked as answer by Banger696 Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:39 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hello Banger 696,

Thank you for visiting our forum today :-). Please visit http://www.howtotell.com and take time to surf the various information here. Next examine the Windows XP you purchased against the genuine and non-genuine examples available on our site. This will be one great avenue to check the validity of what you purchased. Also did you look @ the feedback of whomever you made the purchase? Banger it is hard to identify what versions some people are trying to pass off as originals. Have you scanned the disc with a good anti-virus program yet? Some non-genuine versions of Windows have been known to have various virus's imbedded on the disc.  Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine.

You can install the XP you purchased and run the MGA Diagnostic Tool if you like. Then we can analyze the results and provide you with more insight. Banger if you read the announcements @ the top of our forum you will see the details steps for running the Diagnostic Tool and pasting the results back to us.

Take care and thank you again for visiting us.

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:54 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Thanks Stephen. I will refer the "How to tell" site when I get the package, I suppose it's all in the COA and Disc features. The Charity has 100% good feedback and about 900 sales but they usually sell books and DVDs. Will check it very carefully.

Thanks again.
    • Edited by Banger696 Friday, May 15, 2009 1:31 AM Sales Incorrect
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Ok... When you get the package install the software and run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. Should you have a non-genuine version then you will need to work with EBay and Paypal. If you paid by check or credit card you could disput charges or even cancel the check. Take care Banger and have a great weekend.

Stephen :-)
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:06 AM
  • I found this thread while looking through so now I know what to look for and have pictures.

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/8e376ae4-ba85-4dc9-b125-f2c6a549da19
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Well it arrived this morning, everything is Genuine and is now installed.

Differences noticed between the Genuine and fake are on the COA strip is actually interwoven and you can see fibres instead of being clean cut. Product key has interwoven strip also and the disk itself the copper hologram is under the surface whereas the fake you can feel its been printed on top of the disk. When installing it shows the yellow product key sticker for retail in the dialog box.

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

• Edited by Banger696 Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:59 PM Added details
    • Marked as answer by Banger696 Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:39 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:14 PM