The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'FilteredActivityPointer', database 'MicrosoftCRM_MSCRM' schema 'dbo' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Today I tried to execute the Activities report (the out of the box one) and I got a RS error message:
    An error has ...
             Query execution failed for dataset...   
                        The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'FilteredActivityPointer', database 'MicrosoftCRM_MSCRM' schema 'dbo'.

I have installed MS Dynamics CRM about five times in my life and this is the first time that I can't execute an out of the box report.

So I opened SQL Server Management Studio and I checked out the FilteredActivityPointer Permissions properties page and I found that it has no permissions to read, I know that because I checked out the same properties page for FilteredAccount view and I saw the CRMReaderRole and the ReportingGroup selected in section Users and Roles. FilteredActivityPointer doesn't has users or roles selected.

Finally, I know I could add this rol and users but I don't want to do that. I need some explanation about why exactly this View has lost the permissions because it has happened in two more implementations.

There are no clue, I mean, it is happening with CRM enterprise edition, standard edition and work group edition. Also for one server I'm using SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005 for the other two installations. MS Server Enterprise for the three installations.
    The three of them are 32 bit version.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Ricardo,
    It may happed something similar when you're redeploying organization DB or even with restoring DBs from backup.

Check if users: PrivReportingGroup, ReportingGroup and SQLaccessGroup have access to Organization DB.

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by kgorczewski Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ricardo Barona Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:42 PM
  • Hello Kgorczewski,

I appreciate your help, but certainly none of these activities were performed.
    All I did was install and start working with the tool in addition to import some data using Data Migration Manager but just for one installation (remember that I've seen already this problem within three CRM installations ).
    I know I can solve the problem by modifying the SELECT privilege to view "FilteredActivityPointer" but does not seems to be normal for these permissions have gone without doing a re-deployment or database restoring.

I think this could be an issue and I'm gonna test it with a new installation that I'm about to finish today.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:19 PM
  • I see the same question. some crm reports can't run. rollup8's queston. 

nueRUAN
    Friday, January 22, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Hi nueRUAN,

Just to confirm, you did some re-deployment or charged back any of your database?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem i have attach the database and after that my normal users are lacking the select permissions on abc table. I dont know what to do  please help..... thanks.

Friday, April 6, 2012 10:18 AM
  • Hi Ricardo,

The best explanation for your symptom (which I assume is now long resolved - but for the benefit of others...) is here:

http://community.dynamics.com/product/crm/crmtechnical/b/crmmattwittemann/archive/2010/03/31/the-select-permission-was-denied-on-the-object-39-filteredactivitypointer-39.aspx

As far as the cause - could be one of many things not the least of which is an organization redeploy.

I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful. Michael Mayo

• Proposed as answer by Michael D. Mayo Saturday, November 3, 2012 12:35 AM
    Saturday, November 3, 2012 12:35 AM