Changing default actions listed in Preview Mode RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SyncToy 2.0 Beta to replace the old Briefcase program. I love SyncToy, but
    it seems to be missing the ability to change the default action on a file.
    Once I run a preview and get a list of files that have changed (using
    Synchronize) it would be nice to change the default action.

For instance, if a file was previously deleted in the left folder the
    default action would be to delete it from the right. But I would expect to
    be able to right click on that file in the preview mode and change the
    default delete operation to copy the file back from right to left.

Or another example might be that a file was changed on the left folder and
    we would like to change the default action of copying left to right to instead copy
    from right to left to restore the original file without the changes.

Likewise, if both files were changed Briefcase would tell us that and ask
    which direction we wanted to copy. It sure seems that SyncToy is much more advanced
    than Briefcase, so am I missing this basic function? If it hasn't been
    designed in yet, will it be added? I read all the posts and found no mention
    of this. Thanks.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 4:33 PM

All replies

• Currently we detect what the latest changes are on both sides and then sync in the direction which preserves the latest changes ( assuming you are using the "Synchronize" option).  What you are asking for is a way to override this detection and decide to preserve an older change. We only support NOT applying any change but currently do not support the overriding behaviour - but we will take this as a request for consideration on our future releases.

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:42 PM
  • Deepa,
    Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I think what SyncToy does is a good default action for the "Synchronize" option.  But not being able to override the default (other than to do nothing) seems really be taking a step back of how the old Briefcase worked.  With that old MS program there was a default action, but by right clicking on any suggested action (i.e. preview line) we could accept the default, not do anything, or do other actions (like copying the other direction).

Thank you for submitting my suggestions to the development team.  In my original post I listed suggested optional actions to the default action for:
    a)  a file changed in one folder
    b) the file changed in both folders
    c) a deleted file in one folder

Please pass all three suggestions on to the development team.  I wouldn't understand why they wouldn't make this at least as user friendly as Briefcase was, so hopefully they'll include these changes in the next release.  Thank you.
    Bill
    Friday, April 4, 2008 4:28 PM