CRM 2011 Lookup field to Custom Entity is disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, All

I've heavily customised the Case entity in our CRM 2011 installation. I've added a bunch of new fields, one of which (which we shall call CustomLookup) is a lookup to a new entity I created (which we shall call CustomEntity). There's a one to many relationship between CustomEntity and Case (i.e. there's a CustomEntityId on the Case table). CustomLookup is "Business Required" to the Case.

Obviously I added all these new fields to the Case form.

The problem is that, when I (a System Administrator) log a case, I can see and specify all fields, and I am required to specify CustomLookup before I can save the case. However, when anyone else (NOT System Administrators) log a case, the CustomLookup field on the form is disabled. They can't edit it, and therefore the system allows them to save the case without specifying it. All the other fields work fine, so it must be something to do with my CustomEntity.

I've searched for references to entity and field permissions, but I can't find anything. All I can find is the setting to enable "Field Security" setting on the field, which is off for all fields in the system.

Oh, and one more thing: the users for whom CustomLookup is disabled on the Case form also can't see the CustomEntities option off the "Service" group (where I put it).

If anybody could help to shed some light on this issue, I'd be most appreciative!! :)

Cheers
    Graham

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:44 AM

Answers

• By default - all security roles except for System Admin will not have any access to the Custom Entity you just created include read.  I would check the security roles of the other users.  Custom Entity should be in the last tab of the security role definition.

Follow me on Twitter

Good CRM Links
    My CRM Blog: http://mscrmonline.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:53 AM

All replies

• By default - all security roles except for System Admin will not have any access to the Custom Entity you just created include read.  I would check the security roles of the other users.  Custom Entity should be in the last tab of the security role definition.

Follow me on Twitter

Good CRM Links
    My CRM Blog: http://mscrmonline.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Thanks Frank. That worked a treat! :)

And thanks for the links, too.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:27 AM
  • Just to clarify a little more here:

When you create a custom entity the two roles for System Administrator and System Customiser will immediately have Organisation level access to all privileges for the entity. You can remove or reduce some or all of these from System Customiser if you need to (maybe they don't need access toall your business data to do the job of customising the system).

All other roles will have no access to the entity at all. As a minimum they will need read and "append" privileges to some records of the new entity to be able to use them as a lookup value in your scenario - maybe their own "user" level, or potentially BU or organisation levels, depending on your requirements. You may or may not need them to also create or update/write records as well, but that is not required just to make the lookup work on Cases.

Hope this helps Adam Vero, MCT

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:50 PM