UK site appearing on Worldwide search results, not UK - why? RRS feed

• Question

•  

If you search for www.vanlocator.co.uk on MSN it comes up, first

Yet if you select "Only from United Kingdom" it doesn't come up at all.

It is a UK based site, with a .co.uk domain name, hosted on a UK web host (www.pobox.co.uk)

Anything I can change in either the site (robots.txt etc) or in my MSN user area to change this?

Confused

Many thanks for your help

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I just ran a UK query where your site ranked #2... 

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:22 PM

All replies

• Get more links from UK sites and problem solved. Think you need more then 40% of the links your site gets to be from the Uk.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 3:00 PM
  • That it?

Strange

Why should people linking TO us stop our site being listed correctly, seems weird

Thanks mate

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

I just ran a UK query where your site ranked #2... 

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Hi Brett,

We're experiencing a similar problem on Live Search.  If I search the whole of the web for "www.thetraveleditor.com" we come up no.1, which is fantastic.  However, if I search on "Only from United Kingdom" TheTravelEditor.com doesn't feature.  Are we doing something wrong?  Our content is predominantly UK focussed so the UK is our primary market.

On Google, I've just had to geo-tag the site to ensure that it comes up in their "web" and "UK" search results.  Do I need to do something similar for Live Search?

Thanks

Nik
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Nik,

Your domain name is .com (dot com) only and search from United Kingdom focuses on providing results for .uk results

.com (dot com) is assumed to be a United States website and so is unlikely to be assumed relevant.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Hi,

We own and operate www.TheTravelEditor.co.uk as well but this doesn't feature whatsoever.

Nik
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Hi, Nik.

I just did Live searches on thetraveleditor and www.thetraveledictor.com and the .com domain came up #1 when listing UK results.  I am in Canada.

... Duane

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:31 AM
  • Nik,

The website you list as TheTravelEditor.co.uk is being redirected to  http://www.thetraveleditor.com/ I believe that this is the reason you do not appear in msn uk only.

You need to do some homework and find out why this redirect is happening. This will most definately affect your sites indexing by all the search engines not just msn.

I know it is affecting Yahoo

Good Luck

David

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:52 AM