SQL Server Agent Configuration for SQL Azure RRS feed

• Question

• I spent around a day setting up SQL Agent to start sync job with SQL Azure but to no success.

When i run LocalSqlAzureDatabase.exe with options, it works just fine, sql syncs to azure.

I know i can whip up a windows service or scheduled task that just runs that command on a timer, but i want to utilize ( right way ? ) a sql agent.

There seems to be a lot of confusion around how to setup an agent correct way. Please can someone provide a tutorial on this? I am sure many will benefit from this.

I am trying to run this on a Domain environment.

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The most common reason we have seen the SQL Agent fail (especially when it works from command line) is due to the user context that the SQL Agent is running under.  The first thing I would check is within the services setup for SQL Agent.  Check what it is running as.  I also find this a little confusing but have had a lot of luck when running the SQL Agent service as myself (or more specifically under the account that I am logged in as).

At the very least you should be running the SQL Agent under the same user that you used when running the Wizard for the first time.

Hope that helps!

Liam
    Sr. Program Manager, SQL Azure and Sync Framework - http://msdn.microsoft.com/sync/
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The most common reason we have seen the SQL Agent fail (especially when it works from command line) is due to the user context that the SQL Agent is running under.  The first thing I would check is within the services setup for SQL Agent.  Check what it is running as.  I also find this a little confusing but have had a lot of luck when running the SQL Agent service as myself (or more specifically under the account that I am logged in as).

At the very least you should be running the SQL Agent under the same user that you used when running the Wizard for the first time.

Hope that helps!

Liam
    Sr. Program Manager, SQL Azure and Sync Framework - http://msdn.microsoft.com/sync/
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:34 PM

• Your effort is appreciated! I learned a lot from what you said, I just start to learn it.
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 1:44 AM