Drive Array disappeared from WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• This is the strangest issue I have ever seen.

I have a home built server with an ECS MB, AMD A10 processor, 8 GB memory, a 256 SSD for the OS, and 4 3TB drives configured in a JBOD array of 12TB.  

This server had been running for over 4 months without any issues until Christmas Day 2013 (Merry Christmas to me).  I have a significant amount of media and used this server as a media server/storage unit.

On Christmas Eve I was watching a video being streamed to my AppleTV around midnight.  Not wanting to scare Santa away, I stopped the video in the middle and went to bed.

On Christmas Day I went to finish the video and got an error loading the data on my AppleTV...weird.  I went and investigated and my 12TB array was GONE!  It doesn't show up in WHS 2011 anymore.  Nobody touched it, nothing.

I rebooted with the same result. 

The drives show up in the BIOS as healthy, they show up in the RAID manager from the BIOS as well. 

I reinstalled WHS 2011 on the SSD and the installation asked which disk I wanted to use, the SSD or the 12TB JBOD array after I loaded the drivers.  I chose the SSD as I want to try to preserve the data.  I was hopeful the drive would show back up in Windows after seeing it in the installation program but, alas, it did not.

Anyone have any idea why the drive would just disappear?  Can't see it in Disk Manager or Storage Manager, nada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Denny

Friday, December 27, 2013 3:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If the drive is missing in Disk Manager and it shows in BIOS, maybe the drive is corrupted. Please try to run chkdsk command line tool to check the health of the drive. For details about chkdsk, please refer to the following article.

Chkdsk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730714.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:32 PM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the drive is missing in Disk Manager and it shows in BIOS, maybe the drive is corrupted. Please try to run chkdsk command line tool to check the health of the drive. For details about chkdsk, please refer to the following article.

Chkdsk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730714.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:32 PM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Andy, Thank you so much for the reply.  I have a question.  The CHKDSK
    command requires that a volume be specified. As the drive letter
    doesn't show in Windows, there is no volume to specify.  How would I