Facing problem in disk partitioning and extending C drive. RRS feed

• Question

• My disk is a total mess. I have experimented a lot and nothing is working. Finally I am here.

I have 35gb of space in C drive. I want to exdend this drive.

I have few logical memories which are 'free space's. I am not able to delete these free spaces(option is grayed out), so as to make them 'Unallocated'.

Even if I have an 'Unallocated space', I am not able to extend drive C. (Extend volume option is grayed out).

I want a C drive of 60gb(for Windows 7) and 2 more drives with remaining spaces.

Please Help!!

Thank You. 

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:07 PM

All replies

• volume- Layout-Type- File System-Status- Capacity

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C- Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy(Boot,Page File,Crash Dump, Primary Partition)-35gb

D-Simple- Basic- NTFS- Healthy(Logical Drive)-70gb

F -Simple- Basic-NTFS -Healthy(Primary Partition)- 5.78gb

New Volume(E:)- Simple- Basic-NTFS -Healthy(Logical Drive)-45.13gb

New Volume(M:) -Simple -Basic-NTFS- Healthy(Logical Drive)-41.88gb

System Reserved- Simple -Basic- NTFS-Healthy(System Active, Primary Partition)-100MB

***These are the info if required

• Edited by adikrish Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:23 PM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Hmmm, seems  not so many people know how to solve this situation. First for  the "free space" it is still been recognized as a partition, in your situation you have to delete the equative extended partition and then you could delete it.

Second if the unallocated space is not at the right of C drive, you could not extend C drive. To extend C you have to use 3rd party tool, AOMEI Partition Assistant is a freeware, it is easy to handle this process. see this tutorial: http://www.extend-partition.com/extend-system-boot-partition.html

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:09 AM
  • One of the easiest way is to backup the files and reinstall the OS. While reinstalling, you will get the option for partition; you can delete the partition and merge the drive into single C drive or do further partition. Formatting the whole drive can be beneficial sometimes because it can get you rid of viruses and bad sectors. But remember to back up all the files in the external drives. It depends on what you want but this is one of the ways where we can do partition and have repaired the messed up HD.
    Friday, December 28, 2012 12:49 PM