none
May I suggest a different font RRS feed

• Question

• Okay guys, you're messing with the fonts again...  Now they're too damned small!  I don't mind getting a lot on the screen, but geez, I'm going to need a telescope soon.

Hey, I know...  How about setting the font of the forums to the same font Windows 7 uses for its UI?

Does anyone think that this Segoe UI 11 point font doesn't look good or is hard to read?

Even 10 point Tahoma would be easier to see than what you're putting up now, and it has the advantage of being compatible with XP.

-Noel
    Friday, March 19, 2010 2:38 AM

Answers

• Thank you! 

Now it appears the display font is equal to the edit font.  Nice.

-Noel

Friday, March 19, 2010 4:14 AM
  • Heh, now we seem to be back with the edit font matching the display font.  Verdana 8 is pretty readable, since it appears fairly sharp and dark, so I'd be happy with that.

Compare these lines:  This is the font you get by default.
    Compare these lines:  This is the font you get if you explicitly specify Verdana 8pt, and which appears to match the edit font.

Edit:  I think I see what's happening here...  I pop back and forth occasionally to the Microsoft Answers Forum from the Technet Forum, and there's some kind of cross-coupling going on...  If the last place I visit is Microsoft Answers, the message display fonts here end up the same as the edit font.  If I open a new IE window and go directly into TechNet, the edit and display fonts don't match.

Try this:

Go view a post here:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Then come back here and see if the two comparison lines above look to be using the same font.

-Noel

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:19 PM

All replies

• Thank you! 

Now it appears the display font is equal to the edit font.  Nice.

-Noel

Friday, March 19, 2010 4:14 AM
  • Hi,

11 pt is too big. 10 pt is right for me.

Rem

Friday, March 19, 2010 10:18 AM
  • Hi Rem,

Fair enough, 11 pt is too big.  However, now we seem to be back to a font that's slightly fuzzier and smaller than the font we edit posts with.

For a while last night they had the same font being used for editing in the page display, but now it appears to be back to being different.

-Noel

Friday, March 19, 2010 11:46 AM
  • I suppose we must leave the kids to their toys. They need to play.

To write the above, I wrote this
    <span style="font-family:'Verdana', 'sans-serif';color:black;font-size:8pt">I suppose we must leave the kids to their toys. They need to play. </span>

Friday, March 19, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Heh, now we seem to be back with the edit font matching the display font.  Verdana 8 is pretty readable, since it appears fairly sharp and dark, so I'd be happy with that.

Compare these lines:  This is the font you get by default.
    Compare these lines:  This is the font you get if you explicitly specify Verdana 8pt, and which appears to match the edit font.

Edit:  I think I see what's happening here...  I pop back and forth occasionally to the Microsoft Answers Forum from the Technet Forum, and there's some kind of cross-coupling going on...  If the last place I visit is Microsoft Answers, the message display fonts here end up the same as the edit font.  If I open a new IE window and go directly into TechNet, the edit and display fonts don't match.

Try this:

Go view a post here:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Then come back here and see if the two comparison lines above look to be using the same font.

-Noel

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:19 PM
  • Here goes:

compared to:

There is a difference.

Suggestion for the forum: give us a formatting possibility and a fonttype combobox.

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:53 PM
  • Interesting that the difference you see doesn't match the difference I see:

If I only visit TechNet:

If I visit Microsoft Answers first:

-Noel

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:19 PM
  • I hope the kids have finished playing around with the system by now. It's not very productive to break something that wasn't broken. (the old 'if it isn't broken, don't mend it').

An ordinary droplist/combo for fonts and fontsize in the toolbox wouldn't be difficult to (re)install.

Rem

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:26 PM
  • I hope the kids have finished playing around with the system by now. It's not very productive to break something that wasn't broken. (the old 'if it isn't broken, don't mend it').

An ordinary droplist/combo for fonts and fontsize in the toolbox wouldn't be difficult to (re)install.

Rem

Part of the above has the <span style="font-family:'Verdana', 'sans-serif';color:black;font-size:8pt"> blabla </span> tagging.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 1:28 PM