Xbox games stored on whs RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to store xbox games on whs and play them from there? The xbox is soft modded with xbmc.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:15 AM

Answers

• Gentlemen, your discussion of the ins and outs DRM is off-topic for these forums.

As for running Xbox games off of the server, Microsoft (or a third party) would have to include the ability to mount an ISO or other disk image on the Xbox. As far as I know, nobody has made that ability available, so no, it's not possible. This is unrelated to WHS; you would have the same problems if you tried to store the disk image in a share on XP.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:19 PM

All replies

• Most likely that is not even possible even if it was LEGAL which it is not. Soft-mods and hard-mods are also illegal.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Whizard, have you never heard of the fair use doctrine? It's an exception to the copyright law that allows folks to make back up copies of their physical media, even copyrighted media, for personal use. Have you never ripped a CD to your computer? Windows Media Player lets you do that and it's illegal? You better tell Microsoft so it can disable that feature. Have you never seen the warning on a software CD that says 'don't make illegal copies of this software'? That's because you can legally make a back up copy, else the warning would state 'don't make any copies of this software'.  All I want to do is back up games I already own, and while they're being stored on the server, play them on my xbox. There is nothing illegal (or immoral) about that. More importantly, why do you think it is likely impossible?

As to your assertion that modding an xbox is illegal as opposed to simply being unsupported by MS, well, please help me out and provide the statute that makes it illegal. I'd hate to have the xbox police show up at my door for a crime I didn't know I was committing.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 3:28 PM
  • I believe it's called the 'Digital Millenium Copyright Act' (DMCA) which states that it is illegal to defeat copy protection on protected media (Xbox games count, Music CDs don't) for ANY reason other than what the manufacturer intended. The law has been recently revised so that your logic no longer applies. I'd look into it if I were you.

As for modding an xbox, again, the DMCA states that use of copyrighted media other than the manufacturer's intentions is illegal. This is why it's illegal even to copy Playstation games to a hard drive and play them from there even if you do own the original media.

I will post links if you like.

Sirreel wrote:
    Whizard, have you never heard of the fair use doctrine? It's an exception to the copyright law that allows folks to make back up copies of their physical media, even copyrighted media, for personal use. Have you never ripped a CD to your computer? Windows Media Player lets you do that and it's illegal? You better tell Microsoft so it can disable that feature. Have you never seen the warning on a software CD that says 'don't make illegal copies of this software'? That's because you can legally make a back up copy, else the warning would state 'don't make any copies of this software'.  All I want to do is back up games I already own, and while they're being stored on the server, play them on my xbox. There is nothing illegal (or immoral) about that. More importantly, why do you think it is likely impossible?

I believe it's called the 'Digital Millenium Copyright Act' (DMCA) which states that it is illegal to defeat copy protection on protected media (Xbox games count, Music CDs don't) for ANY reason other than what the manufacturer intended. The law has been recently revised so that your logic no longer applies. I'd look into it if I were you.

As to your assertion that modding an xbox is illegal as opposed to simply being unsupported by MS, well, please help me out and provide the statute that makes it illegal. I'd hate to have the xbox police show up at my door for a crime I didn't know I was committing.

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Please do post links. And thanks so much for your advice to look into it if only you were me, although I must confess that, as a practical matter, I am not too worried that my storing a dozen xbox games on a server will rouse the authorities to action even if you are correct about the illegality of it. And, importantly to me, as stated above, it is not a moral issue in that I am not stealing, but rather am simply looking for convenience. It is depriving the copyright holder of their due that is at the core of all copyright law and I am certainly not asking for advice on how to do that.

I'm more interested in why you think it is likely impossible to put xbox games on the server and play them from there, technically speaking. Despite that Big Brother might like us to keep quiet out of fear, I believe that one can discuss this matter from a technical standpoint even if the DMCA would apply and the fair use exception would not if or when techniques discussed here are put into practice. Talking about something, even when you know for sure the practice of that something would be illegal, is not illegal, and I, for one, am unafraid to exercise my rights.

Your argument about the illegality of modding an xbox falls short in that you're still talking about restrictions on the media. If it is illegal to make a machine that is capable of using media contrary to the intent of the copyright holder, then I am breaking the law with the pc I'm writing this on because, for one thing, I've got three DVD burners and the software to use them to make illegal copies of CD's and DVD's at my fingertips.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  Sirreel wrote:
    Please do post links. And thanks so much for your advice to look into it if only you were me, although I must confess that, as a practical matter, I am not too worried that my storing a dozen xbox games on a server will rouse the authorities to action even if you are correct about the illegality of it. And, importantly to me, as stated above, it is not a moral issue in that I am not stealing, but rather am simply looking for convenience. It is depriving the copyright holder of their due that is at the core of all copyright law and I am certainly not asking for advice on how to do that.

All you gotta do is google 'DMCA' and you'll get links to the actual document and several sites that dumb it down (summarize it) from the language that lawyers speak into laymen's terms.

I'm more interested in why you think it is likely impossible to put xbox games on the server and play them from there, technically speaking. Despite that Big Brother might like us to keep quiet out of fear, I believe that one can discuss this matter from a technical standpoint even if the DMCA would apply and the fair use exception would not if or when techniques discussed here are put into practice. Talking about something, even when you know for sure the practice of that something would be illegal, is not illegal, and I, for one, am unafraid to exercise my rights.

assuming xbox games can even launch from a remote location, Xbox games require that data be accessed very quickly, I doubt your network connections would be fast enough. Even so, your loading times on the games would be atrocious.

Your argument about the illegality of modding an xbox falls short in that you're still talking about restrictions on the media. If it is illegal to make a machine that is capable of using media contrary to the intent of the copyright holder, then I am breaking the law with the pc I'm writing this on because, for one thing, I've got three DVD burners and the software to use them to make illegal copies of CD's and DVD's at my fingertips.

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Ah, that's better. I do not assume xbox games can be launched from a remote location. I am guessing the game would be stored on the server as an iso file, and played on the xbox on a virtual dvd drive. That way the server would not have to provide data any faster than a dvd drive. If that is so, I'm pretty sure the server and the network could keep up. Anyone have thoughts on that basic procedure?
    Friday, April 11, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Gentlemen, your discussion of the ins and outs DRM is off-topic for these forums.

As for running Xbox games off of the server, Microsoft (or a third party) would have to include the ability to mount an ISO or other disk image on the Xbox. As far as I know, nobody has made that ability available, so no, it's not possible. This is unrelated to WHS; you would have the same problems if you tried to store the disk image in a share on XP.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Scouring xbox forums reveals it is impolite to ask how to copy games as I did here. My apologies to all for doing so and especially to Whizard for crabbing at him (or her).

I also found that the xbox cannot run two programs at once, so a game and xbmc, which are both programs, cannot run at the same time. Since you need xbmc running to access the share on whs, a game program stored there won't run. That, of course, is no fault of whs, but is a shame nonetheless.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:08 PM
  •  

No offense taken, it's alright.

I had it in my mind that the only way to perform the task as you were suggesting was to copy the game file image from the share into the HDD on the xbox and launch the game from there. But that's a whole lot more bother to make it worth it for me even if it was legal.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:37 PM
  • You are too kind, Whizard.

Forums suggest installing a big drive in the xbox, copying games to that and playing them from there, but that defeats the purpose of the server. Since I would like to leverage my investment and get the most utility out the server as I can I thought storing games on there would be a dandy way to do that. Frankly, I just enjoy the server's functionality so much that I want to put everything on it and ditch the fragile physical media. It really is too bad it didn't work out.

I'm not a big game player - I don't think I've played one in over a year - but I think I would play them if they were at my fingertips. Heck, if I could play them from the server I might even buy some more as most of the games that came with this used xbox consist of driving cars around (and around and ...), which gets old pretty quickly. As it is I'll probably not mess with gaming any more. I am one lazy b'tard, ain't I? Won't even get up to put a game in the slot.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 4:44 PM