EmailAddress1 field issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In on-premise environment, have increased the length of emailaddress1 field on contact entity from 200 to 254.

When trying to create a record through SDK, it successfully creates a record with the length of emailaddress1 being 211.

When trying to update the same record with an emailaddress1 having length more than 200, it results in a "Generic SQL Error"

Any insight on why this is happening is appreciated.

Karishma

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Nandan,

The field length was already modified as per the business requirement.

Now the way out was to either restrict user from entering string >200 or altering the [AddressUsed] column of [ActivityParty] table.

Karishma

Friday, February 13, 2015 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

In case you have OnPremice - turn on trace and recheck log - it will contain exception that occurs. In case you have CRM Online I would suggest to get in touch with Microsoft Support.

Dynamics CRM MVP/ Technical Evangelist at SlickData LLC
    My blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:05 AM
  • Hi Andrii,

Thank you for prompt response.

Unfortunately I'm unable to find the registry keys to enable tracing, kindly guide me.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:45 AM
  • Also tried to enable tracing using Windows power Shell.

But once its enabled, can't see any log files in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Trace"

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:59 AM
  • Hi Andrii,

I managed to get the trace file

Spotted this -

"Crm Exception: Message: Generic SQL error., ErrorCode: -2147204784, InnerException: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): String or binary data would be truncated.
    The statement has been terminated."

Need help!

Karishma

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:05 AM
  • In case registry key is not available - just create it (dword type).

My blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:07 AM
  • Managed to get the trace file, error message as below:

Exception when executing non-query: update [ActivityPartyBase] set [AddressUsed]='<emailaddress1 of length 209>' where ([PartyId] = '61b7d529-d5b1-e411-bd42-005056952ee1' and [PartyObjectTypeCode] = 2) Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): String or binary data would be truncated.
    The statement has been terminated.

Is there any way to increase the field length of [ActivityPartyBase].[AddressUsed] from nvarchar(200) to nvarchar(254) ?

shouldn't it have been increased when [Contact].[EMailAddress1] was modified from nvarchar(200) to nvarchar(254) ?

Karishma 

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:37 AM
  • Unfortunately there is no supported way to increase length of that field. You can try change it in SQL DB but I would not recommend that.

My blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:51 AM
  • So then how do we handle this issue?
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:55 AM
  • Hi Karishma,

Please follow this blog, which will guide you to do some pre check bfore u change ur field length.

http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2010/09/help-my-field-is-too-short.html

After performing pre check still if you find SQL time out error:

You can increase timeout : Please follow below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2637855/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0

Regards,

Nandan S

Please "Vote as Answer" is it helped you

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:15 AM
  • Hi Nandan,

The field length was already modified as per the business requirement.

Now the way out was to either restrict user from entering string >200 or altering the [AddressUsed] column of [ActivityParty] table.

Karishma

Friday, February 13, 2015 8:49 AM