OCS Load Balancing, Web / A/V Conferencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    We have an non R2 ocs enterprise pool set up in consolidated configuration consisting of 2 servers.  A load balancer is being used to load balance the ocs pool name.  The front end  on which the users will connect to would be controlled by the load balancer.  My question is how does OCS control what server to use for web conferencing and a/v conferencing?  As far as I understand this is not controlled by the load balancer.  I ran a packet trace and it appears to be different at times regardless of what front end you connect to.  Is there a way to control/restrict which servers users get pointed to for web and a/v conferencing?

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:25 PM

All replies

• AFAIK, the idea of using a HLB is to allow OCS/R2 servers in the enterprise pool to determine among themselves which server will eventually be assigned to handle the request based on available capacity. Fixing it to a particular server kinda limits flexiblity and availability to serve client requests. Do you have specific needs to do this?

http://www.leedesmond.com
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:38 PM
  • The focus factory in the front end servers allocate a conference to an MCU on whichever FE is available and has the most capacity at that point in time. There's no way to control which FE is used for conference creation as far as I know.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:34 AM
  • Thanks for replies.  Our environment is a bit specific where we would like to have some form of control in certain situations where users would connect. 

Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:25 PM