LIVE MESH: All data deleted RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure where the problem originated but my multiple mesh synced folders (to other PC's and to LIVE MESH) are all deleted. Yesterday all of these files were deleted. I have no idea how to reclaim these files as they all seem to be gone.

I'm looking for tips on locating these files again. Any help appreciated
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for your post.  First, please check your Recycle Bin for the missing files/folders.  Next, generate Live Mesh logs and Submit a Bug so we can investigate what caused the disappearance.  

How to Generate Logs & Submit a Bug:  https://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?SiteID=425&ContentID=11404#Log_Creation_and_Bug_Submission_-_Basic  
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:49 PM
  • This is fairly unsympathetic.

Does "investigation" include locating my files?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Please excuse the short reply.  The missing files and folders should be in the Recycle Bin, so please check there before doing any other tasks.  In addition, if you send the logs then yes, we will make best effort to help you recover them and work towards preventing it from happening again.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:20 PM
  • We, users, forget often that Live Mesh is in beta stage.

So we should be carefull in its use and make backup copies of data.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:06 PM
  • I clean my computer too regularly and the files (the first place I looked even prior to your response) were not there.

The files are gone from my physical computers (I checked on my own). Unless there is a slightly more advanced version of "check in the recycle bin" on the cloud portion of Mesh (which is the last remaining place the files could be located) I have to presume they are gone forever.

Barring a slightly more helpful response I'll be uninstalling Mesh, never to use or recommend again (as I have in the past). I feel the need to warn the less adept users I guided to this "service" about the dangerous glitches and advice them to discontinue use.

This forum is certainly not sympathetic or helpful to users but rather, it seems, seeks to use them.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:20 PM
  • We, users, forget often that Live Mesh is in beta stage.

So we should be carefull in its use and make backup copies of data.

The program back tracked and deleted files I was syncing with another program from folders not associated with Live Mesh.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.  We hope you will generate Live Mesh logs and submit a bug, once the logs have been inspected it is possible that the files are still on your machine but hidden to you.  The intent of the above posts isn't to been unhelpful, but to stress the importance of sending in the Live Mesh Logs - without the logs we cannot provide the best available assistance.

How to Generate Logs & Submit a Bug:  https://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?SiteID=425&ContentID=11404#Log_Creation_and_Bug_Submission_-_Basic  

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:29 PM
  • So you're saying that the files are definitely not on the live mesh servers? (because I can assure you that they're not on my PC's)
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:56 AM
  • I've marked Evan's post requesting a bug report and logs as the answer to this thread.

I'm sorry to read that you appear to have lost files, but the answer to your last question is that the files would not be on the Live Mesh servers if they have been deleted from the PCs and synschronized across devices. The files *should* have been found in your recycle bin, but you added an interesting twist that I may have misunderstood:
    "The program back tracked and deleted files I was syncing with another program from folders not associated with Live Mesh."

If you set up a folder as a Live Mesh folder *and* were also synchronizing this very same folder using another application, it is highly possible that you created a scenario where files were being synschronized by two programs simultaneiously, causing one or the other program to think that files were being deleted - which then caused the action to ripple and bounce back and forth between programs until the folders were emptied by both programs across all location.

I may have misunderstood your reply, so that's only a guess - the bug report and logs will allow the Live Mesh team to review the order of events and determine the cause and identify if any recovery is possible.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:30 PM