How do I use WHS2011 to stream VOB files to a DLNA compatible device RRS feed

• Question

• How do I use WHS2011 to stream VOB files to a DLNA compatible device?  Best I can tell, the DLNA server doesn't support VOB, and people recommend using another DLNA server, such as Serviio, but none of the DLNA servers recommended are able to install as an add-in to WHS2011.  Any suggestions?
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:47 PM

Answers

• How do I use WHS2011 to stream VOB files to a DLNA compatible device?  Best I can tell, the DLNA server doesn't support VOB, and people recommend using another DLNA server, such as Serviio, but none of the DLNA servers recommended are able to install as an add-in to WHS2011.  Any suggestions?

I did some testing on my initial install of WHS2011, and you are correct, it does not recognize .VOB files - however, I found that if I rename the extension to MPEG, it would show up under Windows Media Player. I did not test it to my XB360. 

I ended up copying all the .VOB files locally, then from a command prompt, in the folder where the .VOB files were copied to, I ran "copy /b file1.VOB + file2.VOB + file3.VOB + 4.VOB MovieName.MPEG"

This showed up under Windows Media Player as well, when copied to the /videos serverfolder. Again, I didn't test this under XB360.

• Marked as answer by LewDelMar Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:28 PM
  • I think you are out of luck there as Vob files are not natively supported. I am not aware of any 3rd party servers which integrate with the Dashboard.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:17 AM

All replies

• I think you are out of luck there as Vob files are not natively supported. I am not aware of any 3rd party servers which integrate with the Dashboard.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:17 AM
  • I don't care if it's truly native, but is there an add-in which will do the trick?  I think Twonky used to do that for the old WHS V1, though I never tried it.  
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Twonky worked fine on WHS1 but did not integrate with the Dashboard - not tried it on 2011 but I don't believe it does.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:13 PM

I did some testing on my initial install of WHS2011, and you are correct, it does not recognize .VOB files - however, I found that if I rename the extension to MPEG, it would show up under Windows Media Player. I did not test it to my XB360. 

I ended up copying all the .VOB files locally, then from a command prompt, in the folder where the .VOB files were copied to, I ran "copy /b file1.VOB + file2.VOB + file3.VOB + 4.VOB MovieName.MPEG"

This showed up under Windows Media Player as well, when copied to the /videos serverfolder. Again, I didn't test this under XB360.

• Marked as answer by LewDelMar Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Much thanks.  To my surprise, it worked... it shows up in windows media player, and in the WHS2011.  Crazy, but true.  Still, it would be better if WHS recognized it directly so one doesn't have to rename files, etc.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Exactly the same situation trying to stream MKV files with DLNA. Not supported. However, rename the MKV file to AVI, or WMV, or MPG and it works!

Quite frustrating, as it appears that these formats could be supported for DLNA streaming by WHS2011 so easily, but are purposely excluded.

Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:20 AM