PING <SERVER NAME> takes me to corporate website RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a HP MediaSmart Server.  I've successfully connected one home computer and the server is configured properly.

When I try to connect my wife's corporate-issued computer I run into problems.  The setup progresses fine and locates the server but fails after when I enter the server password.  Following the "Troubleshooting Windows Home Server Connection Installation" guide I tried a few things failed.

Lets say the Server name is SERVER1

And my wife works at Contoso.

When I "PING" the server name it starts pinging "SERVER1.contoso.com". The computer is clearly not looking within the home network.

Likewise entering http://<SERVER NAME> takes me to an earthlink search page.

I've turned off every firewall available and this does not remedy the problem.  Does anyone have any idea what on the computer is forcing it to look outside the home network  I suspect this is a proxy server problem but the internet settings all seem to be set to automatic detection.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:45 AM

Answers

• The PC is probably member of corporate domain. If you want this system in your homenetwork you'll probably need to logon to the local PC instead of the domain, if that has not been blocked by the corporate IT department.

Anyway I would advise you to contact the IT department in that company first, and ask them if it's OK to join the computer to your homeserver, and if yes let them tell what to do and what not to do.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:29 AM