Hello this is my first post.Just a simple question thank you. RRS feed

• Question

• Can I use a regular computer & use it as a server running microsoft home server software?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:20 AM

Answers

• Can I use a regular computer & use it as a server running microsoft home server software?

As long as it meets the minimum WHS requirements, yes.  However, WHS will format every drive on that computer so you couldn't use it as a server as well as a workstation.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by RocKBanditA Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:51 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:36 AM
  • Thank you kariya21.
    Iam assuming the drive its going to be wipe off(reformat) and the I can just add content right?

Well, you have to install the OS first.  :)  But yes, after that, you add content through the shares.

can I add extra external hard drives & have them in a chain somthing like a RAID ?

RAID is not supported on WHS.  However, WHS uses a technology called Folder Duplication.  When Folder Duplication is enabled on a share, everything in that share is stored on 2 different physical hard drives on the server (similar to RAID 1, or "mirroring").  As for using external hard drives in the storage pool, you can do it, but I would suggest against using USB drives in the storage pool as some users have had problems with USB drives "disappearing".

do the files i add to any hard drive replicate to the other hard drives ?

To clarify:  you don't add files to "any hard drive".  You add files to the network shares through the UNC path (\\server\[sharename]), then WHS takes care of everything else for you.  And, just so you know, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.  All interaction is designed to happen through the WHS Console.

sorry too many questions Im new in all this but very passionate about it, thank you for your help if there is anything i can help you with let me know (audio,graphics)
    No problem.  For more info, you should check the MS WHS site.
    • Marked as answer by RocKBanditA Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:03 AM

All replies

As long as it meets the minimum WHS requirements, yes.  However, WHS will format every drive on that computer so you couldn't use it as a server as well as a workstation.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by RocKBanditA Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:51 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:36 AM
  • Thank you kariya21.
    Iam assuming the drive its going to be wipe off(reformat) and the I can just add content right?
    can I add extra external hard drives & have them in a chain somthing like a RAID ?

sorry too many questions Im new in all this but very passionate about it, thank you for your help if there is anything i can help you with let me know (audio,graphics)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:50 AM
  • Thank you kariya21.

Well, you have to install the OS first.  :)  But yes, after that, you add content through the shares.

RAID is not supported on WHS.  However, WHS uses a technology called Folder Duplication.  When Folder Duplication is enabled on a share, everything in that share is stored on 2 different physical hard drives on the server (similar to RAID 1, or "mirroring").  As for using external hard drives in the storage pool, you can do it, but I would suggest against using USB drives in the storage pool as some users have had problems with USB drives "disappearing".

To clarify:  you don't add files to "any hard drive".  You add files to the network shares through the UNC path (\\server\[sharename]), then WHS takes care of everything else for you.  And, just so you know, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.  All interaction is designed to happen through the WHS Console.

No problem.  For more info, you should check the MS WHS site.
    • Marked as answer by RocKBanditA Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Additional note:
    You do need hardware support/drivers for Windows Server 2003.
    You can check the vendor of your hardware (chipset, NIC, VGA, ...). When unavailable, in some cases you can try drivers for Windows XP.

-Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:14 PM