none
Making use of Dlls

Question

• So instead of writing your own code isn't it a better advantage to use already defined bricks?

So there they are DLLs. But we have to be aware of their functions : what they do, how to call them, their entry points and what to provide as a call parameter. It is hard to tell by their names. Also the tools to write delegates to the unmanaged code DLLs are. VS or wscript. Would not be a bad idea to have at disposition a list of DLLs and their info on those what they do and how.

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 2:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• This one may help.

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Or try asking them over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=csharpgeneral%2Cvbgeneral%2Cvcgeneral&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Hello,

You can also check out the Microsoft API and reference catalog:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 3:27 PM
  • It just so many of the roads to choose from.

My opening date is 2015, but it really is 2005, no idea, the system has changed.
    • Edited by Aнgpeu Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:09 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:03 PM
  • hello dave,

That is a really really bad idea, DLL's headers (ie the files that tell you were everything is) change from version to version. The vedor for the DLL's are also diffrent.

Mircosoft is, from my point of view, one of the best documented on msdn but one of the worst for changing standard functions, everything from printf.

Now i personally have my own MSVC inportor, that i maintain myself, yes its a lot of work to keep it up-to-date but it also means i dont have to ship the latest and so called greatest MSVC with every release, why? because it does not compile the imports into the exe, insted i load the latest, predefined msvc file that exists on the users system.

Now this can be argued as being a security problem, thats about the only issue i can see anyone would have - however, this stops me having to do a static build and bloating my software and still get use of the standard c/c++ function dlls (not so standard in microsofts case).

So if you use a dll in your software, that means your software is then dependand on that dll and its version - its possible it might work with other version, but one change in function layout that you use and bang its now in-compatable.

DLL's are good when you own them, you can update your builds as you update the DLL's, using others dlls is litrally just a nightmare, your better trying to get the source code, removing the junk that you dont use and litrally have your own version of it.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:53 PM