Contents of Live Mesh folder on the desktop after uninstallation: How to restore my lost data? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just got rid of Live Mesh, since it basically didnt work, put huge load on my cpu and hdd, and didn't offer any improvement over rdp and foldershare.

But since I uninstalled it, Live Mesh left hundreds of .wlx files in my synced folders, and left a folder on the desktop with hundreds of files from (supposedly) my synced folders. Now I am left with about 5.000 files, which have been probably deleted from my folders, without any obvious way of putting them back into their original place in the folder structure. Besides I don't know how many files Live Mesh deleted apart from these, so I cannot estimate the loss of data which occurred.

So could someone please help me resolve this mess? I thought MS would have put a little more effort into preventing data loss, which I see as the very basic requirement of any such tool.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 1:42 PM

Answers

• dudido said:

Hi,

I just got rid of Live Mesh, since it basically didnt work, put huge load on my cpu and hdd, and didn't offer any improvement over rdp and foldershare.

But since I uninstalled it, Live Mesh left hundreds of .wlx files in my synced folders, and left a folder on the desktop with hundreds of files from (supposedly) my synced folders. Now I am left with about 5.000 files, which have been probably deleted from my folders, without any obvious way of putting them back into their original place in the folder structure. Besides I don't know how many files Live Mesh deleted apart from these, so I cannot estimate the loss of data which occurred.

So could someone please help me resolve this mess? I thought MS would have put a little more effort into preventing data loss, which I see as the very basic requirement of any such tool.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a frustrating experience with Live Mesh.  As Quiggles notes, we are a beta product - nevertheless, we take any potential data loss very seriously, and would like to help you recover any missing files.

Does the folder left on your desktop after uninstalling Live Mesh not contain all the files you're looking for?  If not, have you checked the Recycle Bin?  If you would like direct assistance from our support team, please send email to lmprev@microsoft.com, ATTN: Possible Data Loss.

Again, even though we are a beta product, we take data integrity very seriously, and will be more than happy to provide any assistance that we can.

I hope you'll give us another try once Live Mesh has matured.

Ben.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 8:51 PM

All replies

• Can't see why it didn't work as it has worked perfectly from day one for me. The desktop tool isn't fantastic currently, but not all machines have RDP access.  For me foldershare is ok, but less flexible than mesh.

However statements like "I thought MS would have put a little more effort into preventing data loss" really are ridiculous for a product that is still in beta, any beta product usage is inherently risky.  The agreement that you sign up when first using mesh pretty much says this and you agreed to it...

Why not work with MS and contact them through the help button on the live desktop and see if they can assist.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 3:46 PM
  • dudido said:

Hi,

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a frustrating experience with Live Mesh.  As Quiggles notes, we are a beta product - nevertheless, we take any potential data loss very seriously, and would like to help you recover any missing files.

Does the folder left on your desktop after uninstalling Live Mesh not contain all the files you're looking for?  If not, have you checked the Recycle Bin?  If you would like direct assistance from our support team, please send email to lmprev@microsoft.com, ATTN: Possible Data Loss.

Again, even though we are a beta product, we take data integrity very seriously, and will be more than happy to provide any assistance that we can.

I hope you'll give us another try once Live Mesh has matured.

Ben.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 8:51 PM