Internal Hard Drive Recommendations RRS feed

• General discussion

• After reading Ken Warren’s comments in the How does WHS do balancing with USB discs thread I have some concerns regarding my current use of USB drives in my WHS V1 setup.  I didn’t want to hijack the other thread so I’m starting a new one.  

I currently have one internal 250GB SATA drive for the OS, two SATA 500GB internal drives for data and two 1TB external – USB connected drives that I added earlier this year.  To date I’ve had no issues with the USB drives but after reading Ken’s comments I’ve decided to play it safe and replace the two 500GB internal drives with two 2TB SATA internal drives and pull the USB drives from service.  No more external storage and plenty of drive space.

I’d like to gather some input from the group regarding what type of drives to purchase.  I can purchase (as an example) a Seagate LP ST32000542AS 2TB 5900 RPM SATA drive for $90 or I can purchase a Seagate ES ST32000644NS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise drive for $270.  Is it worth it to step up to an enterprise level drive given that WHS spins the drives 24 x 7?  I'm more concerned about data integrity than price.  Thanks for your input.

-don

Friday, December 17, 2010 5:24 PM

All replies

• My opinion:

• Buy large drives (up to 2 TB; Windows Home Server won't use any more than that on a drive). Try to avoid 4k sector drives (sometimes called "Advanced Format") or get drives (like the WD AF drives) that allow you to use a jumper or software tool to align partitions for best performance.
    • Don't buy enterprise drives; they're usually not intended by the manufacturer for standalone use, instead having features that make them more useful in a RAID array.
    • Use USB drives for server backup. They deliver adequate performance, and are easy to transport.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 17, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Thanks Ken - I'll avoid the advanded format and the enterprise drives.  I'm already doing to off-site backups with portable drives so I'll just repurpose the other USB drives for some future project - it never hurts to have a couple on the shelf just in case.

Merry Christmas!

-don

Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:35 PM