none
Prevent Certain Users From Creating New Pages (Wordpress Author Restrictions Don't Transfer)

Question

• This question is "cross platform" between Wordpress and Windows Live Writer.  I asked the question on a Wordpress forum but did not receive any suggestions so I thought I would see if anyone in this forum could help.

I'm creating a website for a school where the staff has only been given author permission level in Wordpress so they cannot create new pages and can only create/edit posts.

We have given the school staff Windows Live Writer (WLW) to serve as the tool for creating and editing posts since they are more comfortable with the WLW interface.

Here is the problem we're having.  WLW does not recognize the fact that certain users should not be allowed to create or edit new pages. The WLW screen allows them to create new posts or new pages.  We don't want the school staff to be able to create new pages, only new posts.

Is there a way to set up WLW so any author restrictions in Wordpress transfer to WLW and these users would not be able to create/edit pages?  Or is there a setting in Windows Live that can restrict certain users from creating new pages?  I could not find such a setting.

Thanks,
    Eric

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:25 PM

All replies

• No. That function [security] it controlled by the Wordpress server. Logic would say that if Wordpress won't allow them to create pages from the website, then they can't be allowed to create them using Windows Live Writer.

I don't use Wordpress and Windows Live Writer in that method, so I haven't tried it.

Have you actually tried it?

Just trying to help...

Later,
    Larry

Thursday, April 01, 2010 10:27 PM
  • If you are hosting your own WordPress blog you can edit your Live Writer manifest file on the server to not show the New Pages link at all if you want to go that route.  Setting permissions on the WordPress side as to who can edit what is the way to go on a per user bases.
    Friday, April 02, 2010 7:45 PM