Network speed on WHS slow RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot figure out why my network speed is slow for the WHS.

I am switching over from an SME server which is running a P3 500mhz, 512mb ram, 1k network card, transfer rate approx 4.4 mb/sec.

The WHS is running a P3 850mhz, 850mb ram, 1k network card, transfer rate apporx 1.3 mb/sec.

The only thing different is the network cards and the operating systems. 

Can someone tell me if what could be the possible problem?  Do I need a faster processor to get higher lan speeds? I know the minimum is a 1ghz processor but have read others in the forums using less than 1ghz with ok results.

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Todd

Sunday, December 30, 2007 5:32 PM

All replies

• Todd

Are you running any AV on the WHS?

Are you using folder duplication?

How is your network configured and how are you connecting to your WHS?

Andrew

Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:02 PM
  • I am not running any AV. 

I just turned off the duplication when you asked.  Initially it started out quick now at about 5-6 MB/sec then slows back down to about 1.27 mb/sec. 

I have both my computer and the WHS hardwired into a 1k hub just like my SME server.

Could it be the processor speed? If so I may put the drives in a P4 3ghz machine if it will make a big difference. Could it be a different type of network card that is the issue? The one that is in the WHS is a Netgear.

Thank you for your reply.

Todd

Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:51 PM
  •  

are you using a hub?  If so, get rid of that and get a switch, you should notice an improvement from the switch.

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:09 AM
  • I figured out the bottleneck was one of two 120gb 2mb cache drives hooked up to a PCI IDE raid controller (raid not being used).  When I removed those, the speed went up similar to my SME server.

I would like to know how most people are adding so many harddrives to their systems.  Are you adding multiple PCI cards or adding them by USB and Firewire? Or just multiple SATA plugged into the motherboard? I am trying to figure out the most cost efficient way to add more drives.

Thanks,

Todd

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 2:46 PM