How can I configure the Activity Feeds Wall in MS Dynamics CRM 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm currently working with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013, and I would like to configure/customize the Activity Feeds Wall that we can find in default dashboards, but I don't really know how to achieve my goals.

- How can I add or remove entities in the "You follow" filter list?

- How can I add or remove entities (in particular custom entities) in the "Posts about" filter list, if I can't find them in the entity list of the "Post Configuration" section? I have only 29 entities available in the list (accounts, contacts...), but I can't find the custom entities I have created.

- Is it possible to add new rules in the "Post rules configuration" section? Or can we only use workflows to create and manage automatic plublications on the wall? I only have a read access for the records of the "Post rules configuration".

- Is it possible to add more options in posts? By default we have the "Like" option, but could we add other options like "Need" (for "I need this thing"), "In Stock" (for "I have it in my stock")...

- Do you know where I could find the web resource file "msdyn_/PersonalWall.htm" used in the dashboards to display the Activity Feeds Wall? And do you find it could be an idea to customize this file to get what I'm looking for?

Thanks a lot for your help and your answers.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To get you started,

How can I add or remove entities in the "You follow" filter list?

1. Go to "Settings"
    2. Go to "Post Configurations"
    3. By default, basic entities are activated. You need to go to the record with the name of your custom entity.
    4. Open that record
    5. Activate that record.
    6. Click on the "..." and click on "Publish All Customizations"
    7. Once your customizations are published, you need to the default view of your entity.
    8. Select the records, Click on "..." and click on "Follow"
    9. This will give you a confirmation dialog, click on "Ok"

This will list your entity in the "You Follow".

How can I add or remove entities (in particular custom entities) in the "Posts about" filter list, if I can't find them in the entity list of the "Post Configuration" section? I have only 29 entities available in the list (accounts, contacts...), but I can't find the custom entities I have created.

1. Go to "Settings"
    3. By default, basic entities are activated. You need to go to the record with the name of your custom entity.
    4. Open that record.
    5. Navigate to the "Filters" section on the record form.
    6. Click on the button on the right on top of the grid view to open the "Wall View Associated View".
    7. Select the view you need to show on the "Posts About".
    8. Click on "Show".
    9. Navigate back to the post configuration record.
    10. Activate that record.
    11. Click on the "..." and click on "Publish All Customizations"

This will display your view for the custom entity.

Is it possible to add new rules in the "Post rules configuration" section? Or can we only use workflows to create and manage automatic plublications on the wall? I only have a read access for the records of the "Post rules configuration".

I hope this is better to leave as Read Only for its default functionality. Since this displays your custom entity also, you should be able to activate the publications as described above.

Do you know where I could find the web resource file "msdyn_/PersonalWall.htm" used in the dashboards to display the Activity Feeds Wall? And do you find it could be an idea to customize this file to get what I'm looking for?

1. Go to Customizations -> Web Resources
    2. Select the View as "All"
    3. Filter on "Webpage (HTML)"
    4. Scroll down to view the msdyn_/RecordWall.htm"
    5. If you want to customize this html page, you may create a solution and this web resource into your solution.
    6. Export the solution, there after once you  have updated the file then you may import the solution again. 

Is it possible to add more options in posts? By default we have the "Like" option, but could we add other options like "Need" (for "I need this thing"), "In Stock" (for "I have it in my stock")...

Aah, This is good one. Let me check how we can do it.(if possible)   :)

I hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Anubhav Bajpai

• Edited by Anubhav Bajpai Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:31 PM Updated screenshot
    • Marked as answer by Rapothin Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Finally, I found the answer for the majority of the issues presented in the previous message ==> connect in https to the MS Dynamics CRM 2013 environment.

With a https connection and the solutions given by Anubhav Bajpai I could:

--> follow records and have entity filters in the "You follow" list

--> configure custom entities in the "Post Configuration" section

But, the file "msdyn_/PersonalWall.htm" seems to be really unaccessible, and in consequence, it will be really complicated to add other options like "Need" (for "I need this thing") or "In Stock" (for "I have this thing in my stock") in a post... and it wouldn't be a good idea to modify a standard functionality like this one.

Thank you all for your help.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To get you started,

1. Go to "Settings"
    4. Open that record
    5. Activate that record.
    6. Click on the "..." and click on "Publish All Customizations"
    7. Once your customizations are published, you need to the default view of your entity.
    8. Select the records, Click on "..." and click on "Follow"
    9. This will give you a confirmation dialog, click on "Ok"

This will list your entity in the "You Follow".

How can I add or remove entities (in particular custom entities) in the "Posts about" filter list, if I can't find them in the entity list of the "Post Configuration" section? I have only 29 entities available in the list (accounts, contacts...), but I can't find the custom entities I have created.

1. Go to "Settings"
    4. Open that record.
    5. Navigate to the "Filters" section on the record form.
    6. Click on the button on the right on top of the grid view to open the "Wall View Associated View".
    7. Select the view you need to show on the "Posts About".
    8. Click on "Show".
    9. Navigate back to the post configuration record.
    10. Activate that record.
    11. Click on the "..." and click on "Publish All Customizations"

This will display your view for the custom entity.

Is it possible to add new rules in the "Post rules configuration" section? Or can we only use workflows to create and manage automatic plublications on the wall? I only have a read access for the records of the "Post rules configuration".

I hope this is better to leave as Read Only for its default functionality. Since this displays your custom entity also, you should be able to activate the publications as described above.

Do you know where I could find the web resource file "msdyn_/PersonalWall.htm" used in the dashboards to display the Activity Feeds Wall? And do you find it could be an idea to customize this file to get what I'm looking for?

1. Go to Customizations -> Web Resources
    2. Select the View as "All"
    3. Filter on "Webpage (HTML)"
    4. Scroll down to view the msdyn_/RecordWall.htm"
    5. If you want to customize this html page, you may create a solution and this web resource into your solution.
    6. Export the solution, there after once you  have updated the file then you may import the solution again. 

Is it possible to add more options in posts? By default we have the "Like" option, but could we add other options like "Need" (for "I need this thing"), "In Stock" (for "I have it in my stock")...

Aah, This is good one. Let me check how we can do it.(if possible)   :)

I hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Anubhav Bajpai

• Edited by Anubhav Bajpai Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:31 PM Updated screenshot
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your help.

I've tried your solutions, but I encountered some issues.

When I click on "Follow", if I stay on the record (ex : an account) form, the modification is taking into account, but if I refresh the form, or leave the form and come back later, and click on "..." I have always the possibility to click on "Follow". Moreover, if i go to a default dashboard with an Activity Feeds Wall, I always only have "All records" in the "You follow" list.

As it's said in the question, the issue in this situation, is that my custom entities are not present in the "Post Configuration" records (there is only 29 records available in the list).

In fact, my question was : How can I manage custom entities in the configuration of the Activity Feeds Wall, if they are missing in the "Post Configuration" records?

I have created workflows to automatically post a message in the Activity Feeds Wall on an event trigger, and I think it's the best way to manage this kind of situation in MS Dynamics CRM 2013.

I don't know why, but I've created a solution with the "msdyn_/PersonalWall.htm" inside, and exported it, but I only had 3 xml files in the zip file ([Content_Types], customizations, solution) and no sign of the html file...

Thank you to think about this with me :).

Thanks & Regards,

• Edited by Rapothin Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:15 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Finally, I found the answer for the majority of the issues presented in the previous message ==> connect in https to the MS Dynamics CRM 2013 environment.

With a https connection and the solutions given by Anubhav Bajpai I could:

--> follow records and have entity filters in the "You follow" list

--> configure custom entities in the "Post Configuration" section

But, the file "msdyn_/PersonalWall.htm" seems to be really unaccessible, and in consequence, it will be really complicated to add other options like "Need" (for "I need this thing") or "In Stock" (for "I have this thing in my stock") in a post... and it wouldn't be a good idea to modify a standard functionality like this one.

Thank you all for your help.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:54 PM