WHS Backup Service not running on Client Computer(s) RRS feed

• Question

• From the WHS Console (on the server) I can access the backup information, config backups, etc. I can view backups for a particular machine and date and even see the backup description, but I cannot OPEN the backup, it says "You must Open a backup fro the WHS Console on a Client computer" or something to that effect. When I open the WHS Console on a clent machine and try to access, view or anything else with a backup, i get the dialog bos that says "The Windows Home Server Computer Backup Service is not running. Please restart Windows Home Server. If the problem persisits, contact..."

So the backup service IS running, but I cannot access it from any client machines. I added PP3, thinking that migh help, but it is no different. I need to get stuff from one of these backups, so I am not yet willing to "Repair" on the WHS console...

Any Help or Ideas?

Thanks
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:07 AM

All replies

• Are you using a personal firewall solution on your client computers other than the built-in Windows firewall? If so, you may need to open ports in that firewall. The ports that are required are detailed in the Home Networking technical brief...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Only Windows Firewall and even if I disable it I get the same problem. I have gone thru on my router and opened all the ports as indicated on the "home networking technical brief"... I still wonder if its a router issue, because I also cannot make remote access work. My router is "supposed" to be PnP friendly, but I have observed the router setting in the PnP section and they have only showed the Home Server settings once, then that dissapeared. I have a Netgear WNR3500... Still looking for help... I am almost ready to go back to simply an XP machine actince as as peer server, or try Server 2008, or something else, but I would love to make this work...
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Only Windows Firewall and even if I disable it I get the same problem. I have gone thru on my router and opened all the ports as indicated on the "home networking technical brief"... I still wonder if its a router issue, because I also cannot make remote access work. My router is "supposed" to be PnP friendly, but I have observed the router setting in the PnP section and they have only showed the Home Server settings once, then that dissapeared. I have a Netgear WNR3500... Still looking for help... I am almost ready to go back to simply an XP machine actince as as peer server, or try Server 2008, or something else, but I would love to make this work...

Do you have multiple clients you can use to try opening the backups?  Did you try completely disabling Windows Firewall on the server the same you disabled it on your client?  As for the router, the only ports you should need to forward are 80, 443, and 4125 (those are used for Remote Access).  Any other ports needed are strictly internal and should not need to be forwarded from your router.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:47 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  I upgraded to Windows 7 and am trying to restore some things from the Homeserver.  It gets to the 81% mark and the homeserver backup service stops running and crashes the effort to open the backup file.  It is showing the backup as coming from a different computer now - same names but indicates different OS.  Any suggestions?

By doing a repair on the server backup I was able to access and restore
    • Proposed as answer by SmackoWV Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:47 PM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:28 AM