Schedule Tracking Through Baseline RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on Project Server 2007

The project Schedule Status is being calculated using the Baseline Start and Finish Date using Custom Field.

The Problem is: how to track the schedule for the Project if there happen to be multiple baseline??

My Custom field formula for calculating the project schedule is:

IIf([% Complete]=100,"Completed",IIf(

Now()<[Baseline Start] And [% Complete]=0,"Upcoming Project",IIf([Actual Start]=[Baseline Start] And [% Complete]>=(ProjDateDiff([Actual Start],Now())/[Duration])*100 And [% Complete]<100,"On Schedule",IIf(Now()>[Baseline Start] And [% Complete]=0,"Delayed",IIf([Actual Start]=[Baseline Start] And [% Complete]<(ProjDateDiff([Actual Start],Now())/[Duration])*100 And [% Complete]<100,"Delayed","On Schedule")))))

Please suggest solution mapping with this requirement.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

there is a chance .... With one additional manual step.

If you go to Tools - Options - Calculation and click on Earned Value button, you can define, what Baseline you want to use for earnde value calculation. I am not sure if you are already using it? Note that any change in there, will impact your earned value. However, whatever you are doing in this dialog, it will change the value of your Variance fields. There is only one variance field for Start, Finish, Duration, .... despite of 11 baselines. By default, in Earned Value dialog, Baseline is selected, so you see variance calculated with Baseline fields. If you change Value for Earned Value calculation to Baseline2, variance will be calculated by Baseline2 fields. You can take advantage of this: Just replace [Baseline Start] by ProjDateSub( [Start], [Start Variance],"Standard") in your formula and ask your PM to select always the most current Baseline in Earned Value dialog.

Another possiblity is some VBA code. VBA does know the last modification date of baselines. If you prefer this solution, let us know.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Nitin,

What if I suggest you to track schedule for the project using a custom SSRS report.

Below is the detail for the same.

You have to develop a report using dynamic stored procedure where you will pass two parameteres "Baseline Start Date" and "Baseline Finish Date" to stored procedure.

Here "Baseline Start Date" will contain the parameter value like"Baseline0StartDate,Baseline1StartDate" and so on.

And "Baseline Finish Date" will contain the parameter value like"Baseline0FinishDate,Baseline1FinishDate" and so on.

User will select these parameter on rum time, so your issue with hardcoded custom formula field can be easily resolve using this report.

Below in the script for that procedure.

CREATE procedure [dbo].[USP_BaselineDemo]
     (@BaselineVal1 nvarchar(20),@BaselineVal2 nvarchar(20))
    as
    begin
    declare @sql  nvarchar(max)
     if @BaselineVal1>=@BaselineVal2
    begin
     set @sql =  'select ProjectUID, ProjectName ,ProjectAuthorName, ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal1+'StartDate as ProjectBaseline0StartDate, ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal1+'FinishDate as ProjectBaseline0FinishDate ,' +
    'ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal2+'StartDate as ProjectBaseline1StartDate,ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal2+'FinishDate as ProjectBaseline1FinishDate,(ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal1+'Duration - ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal2+'Duration)
     As Dur_var  from msp_epmproject_userview'
    end
    else
    begin
    set @sql =  'select ProjectUID, ProjectName ,ProjectAuthorName, ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal1+'StartDate as ProjectBaseline0StartDate, ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal1+'FinishDate as ProjectBaseline0FinishDate ,' +
    'ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal2+'StartDate as ProjectBaseline1StartDate,ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal2+'FinishDate as ProjectBaseline1FinishDate,(ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal2+'Duration - ProjectBaseline'+@BaselineVal1+'Duration)
     As Dur_var  from msp_epmproject_userview'
    end

exec(@sql)

end

Note: Here I am just fetching the dynamic baseline values enter by user and showing up the respected data. But you can very easlily modify it to map your requirement.

Hope this may help you.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Thanks Sachin

For SSRS label this will working fine But i want track on Project Custom Field label

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

I am not sure what you mean with "if there happen to be multiple baseline"? Do you have multiple baselines at the same time and want to compare with an ymaximums or minimums? Or do you just want to have your formula available for several baselines using [Baseline1 Start], ....?

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:01 AM
  • Thanks Barbara,

I have multiple baseline in a project i want to use latest baseline in Custom field...

Suppose A project-1 contains 3 baseline 

baseline0

baseline1

baseline2

and baseline 2 is latest one in that case my custom field formula should use Baseline2 start date

At same time Project -2 contains 2 baseline

Baseline0

Baseline1

and Baseline 1 is latest in that case custom field formula should use Baseline1 start date

Thanks

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hi Nitin,

I dont think using formula custom field you can achieve this, because there is no way to define which is current baseline for particular project while creating the custom field because its completely dynamic and it differs project to project.

In my way you can suggest to your client as a alternative to go with a custom report for status tracking of your project.

This is what I can suggest you and hope there is something for you from Barbara's side.

Thanks

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

there is a chance .... With one additional manual step.

If you go to Tools - Options - Calculation and click on Earned Value button, you can define, what Baseline you want to use for earnde value calculation. I am not sure if you are already using it? Note that any change in there, will impact your earned value. However, whatever you are doing in this dialog, it will change the value of your Variance fields. There is only one variance field for Start, Finish, Duration, .... despite of 11 baselines. By default, in Earned Value dialog, Baseline is selected, so you see variance calculated with Baseline fields. If you change Value for Earned Value calculation to Baseline2, variance will be calculated by Baseline2 fields. You can take advantage of this: Just replace [Baseline Start] by ProjDateSub( [Start], [Start Variance],"Standard") in your formula and ask your PM to select always the most current Baseline in Earned Value dialog.

Another possiblity is some VBA code. VBA does know the last modification date of baselines. If you prefer this solution, let us know.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:37 AM