2 Newbee questions. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody.

Hurray! I have WHS up and running now. I am so happy that I have and I definitely see benefits. I am bit puzzled though.

1. How do I backup my external USB drive onto WHS. (I am not talking about backing up WHS itself.) I have two USB external drives and I want all the data from them is backed up ON WHS. Do I have to attach them to some other computer and then backup? I tried to copy them to my shared folders directly and after 20Gig transfer it said out of space. So I deleted those folders.

These HDDs are 200Gig and 320Gig (almost full) so they need to be backed up properly.

2. If I run a complete Manual backup on my entire desktop A can I restore it as is and can I restore files partially to any other desktop B. ?

Please pardon if I sould silly but the help document confused me beyond my belief.

Thanks a lot.

Harshal

Monday, April 26, 2010 8:35 PM

Answers

• Logging in to your server desktop is unsupported. The warning that displays when you do so should make that pretty clear. If you're satisfied with copying from a client computer to your server, I see no need to do anything else. :)

As for the laptop losing the connection to your server, are you connected to your network using a wireless connection? If so, try a wired connection to your network instead.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by harshalsk Saturday, May 15, 2010 3:07 AM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:37 AM

All replies

• I think I got answer to second one after digging around in the documentation.

I really need answer for the first one.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:06 PM
  • For the USB drives, if you want the contents of the drives available in the shares (which will potentially free the drives for other use) you should attach sufficient storage to your server to hold the contents (2x if you wish to use duplication, which I advise), connect the drives to a computer, and copy to the shares. It sounds to me like you tried to copy the contents with the drives connected to the server, which isn't supported.

For more information, you should look at Microsoft's Windows Home Server web site .

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:05 PM
  • Yes that is what I exactly tried. I hope MS will support that soon.

Thanks for your answer.

Harshal

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Connecting Drive to a Computer (Laptop) and then copying data to Shares works great. Once in a while Laptop looses connectivity with WHS and then I need to click "Skip" instead of "Try Again" and then it works fine.

But at the same I stumbled upon this article which mentiones that I can connect eternal USB drives to my WHS Server and then copy data into shares folder. But I can do it only using Remote Desktop.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/How_to_copy_files_to_the_server#Moving_files_from_drive_attached_to_server

Does that makes any sense or this is only specific to MediaServer solution? Will this work with my server?

My config is:
    Gigabyte  M68M-S2P mobo
    AMD Athlon X2 250
    2GB RAM
    80GB PATA (SYS)
    2TB (1TB x2) (DATA)

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Logging in to your server desktop is unsupported. The warning that displays when you do so should make that pretty clear. If you're satisfied with copying from a client computer to your server, I see no need to do anything else. :)

As for the laptop losing the connection to your server, are you connected to your network using a wireless connection? If so, try a wired connection to your network instead.

• Marked as answer by harshalsk Saturday, May 15, 2010 3:07 AM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:37 AM