WHS - R.I.P. RRS feed

All replies

• But there is, with no price announced:

Windows Server 2012 Foundation. OEM-only (comes with new entry-level servers), supports up to 15 users. No virtualization rights.

Possibly available in the same way as WHS2011 OEM?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, July 6, 2012 7:39 AM
  • From the FAQ

Q: Will there be a next version of Windows Home Server?

A: No. Windows Home Server has seen its greatest success in small office/home office (SOHO) environments and among the technology enthusiast community. For this reason, Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows Server 2012 Essentials the ideal first server operating system for both small business and home use - offering an intuitive administration experience, elastic and resilient storage features with Storage Spaces, and robust data protection for the server and client computers.

The above leads me to believe the Foundation will not have the features we are accustomed to in WHS.  However, you do bring up a good point, will just have to wait and see.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

But there is, with no price announced:

Windows Server 2012 Foundation. OEM-only (comes with new entry-level servers), supports up to 15 users. No virtualization rights.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

BullDawg
    Friday, July 6, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Sort of saw this coming, but WHS 2011 is still being "supported". It still has a few years before it reaches EOL. So I personally don't feel the need to upgrade my media server setup for a while yet.

Though the $425 price tag is a slap in the face from Microsoft. Probably works out to be around £350 for the UK.

Friday, July 6, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Though the $425 price tag is a slap in the face from Microsoft. Probably works out to be around £350 for the UK.

Guess they have to make up for selling WHS 2011 for fifty bucks.

As always, perplexed by Windows

Friday, July 6, 2012 11:36 AM
  • But there is, with no price announced:

Microsoft says this (in the FAQ): 

If you’re a small business with limited in-house skills, Windows Server 2012 Essentials is an appropriate option. It’s simple, affordable, and easy to manage, and has been tailored to address common small business IT scenarios. Windows Server 2012 Essentials is the ideal solution if you plan to expand your business capabilities through the cloud as it is designed to facilitate your connection to online services. On the other hand, if you have some level of in-house IT skills and want the ability to tailor server roles to their unique environments, then Windows Server Foundation is potentially better suited to your business.

In other words, if you are a home user, then you had better have some degree of IT skills at your fingertips if you want to use Windows Server Foundation, assuming that it does contain all the necessary functionality. It certainly won’t have the easy-to-use Wizards that will be present in the Essentials edition…

The upshot of all this is that Microsoft has essentially dropped the whole concept of a Home Server product, priced for the consumer market. I can’t say that I’m the least little bit surprised, the writing has been on the wall since the early days of the development of WHS 2011.

Friday, July 6, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Sort of saw this coming, but WHS 2011 is still being "supported". It still has a few years before it reaches EOL. So I personally don't feel the need to upgrade my media server setup for a while yet.

Though the $425 price tag is a slap in the face from Microsoft. Probably works out to be around £350 for the UK.

Yes, it will still work, but it still can't backup/restore client PCs that use EFI/GPT technology. I'm prepared to bet that your next PC will be using EFI/GPT, so forget about using WHS 2011 to manage backups for it...
    Friday, July 6, 2012 11:55 AM
  • ... but it still can't backup/restore client PCs that use EFI/GPT technology...

I wonder if the Windows 2012 Server Essentials supports the backup system of WHS 2011. I guess we'll have to wait for the beta to find out.
    Friday, July 6, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Also don't forget Windows 8 which can also act as a server and comes with storage spaces. You can also get an upgrade from $39
    Friday, July 6, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Also don't forget Windows 8 which can also act as a server and comes with storage spaces. You can also get an upgrade from $39

We need someone to develop an App for Windows 8 that replicates the client PC backup functionality that is present in WHS, while addressing its limitation (it can’t backup PCs that use EFI/GPT technology). There’s a gap in the market opening up – let’s hope someone will fill it…
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:13 AM
  • WHS -- R.I.P.

More like DNR I think (Do Not Resuscitate); I see it working for me for years to come yet, unless the GPT thing causes me to kick it to the curb. But I don't see that happening in my stable for a while anyway.

And IMO anyway if you have enough PCs and computing needs to require a server to manage them, you can afford the $500 bucks or whatever...

Saturday, July 7, 2012 2:46 PM
  • In other words, if you are a home user, then you had better have some degree of IT skills at your fingertips if you want to use Windows Server Foundation, assuming that it does contain all the necessary functionality. It certainly won’t have the easy-to-use Wizards that will be present in the Essentials edition…

The upshot of all this is that Microsoft has essentially dropped the whole concept of a Home Server product, priced for the consumer market. I can’t say that I’m the least little bit surprised, the writing has been on the wall since the early days of the development of WHS 2011.

Exactly. The focus is now on "cloud" backup and the whole idea of a product for endusers has been abandoned.

One of the problems they've had all along was the inability to distinguish WHS from competitive products offered by disk makers.   From what I've seen, it was "IT enthusiasts" who actually appreciated the simplicity  and embraced a no-brainer solution for home backup. Almost all the WHS installations I know about were set up on discarded machines and just roll on with no real intervention.

From my own perspective, WHS got on the wrong path when it eliminated automatic dupication of shared folders. I bought WHS2011 but I'm still running 2003 because I haven't wanted to get involved in complicated machinations just to get my shared folders automatically covered.   I don't want to hear how people should have an all possible disaster plan, the 85% coverage that WHS provided was so far beyond what my relatives were using that it was easy to get them onboard. 

Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:41 PM
  • +1

Backups to the "Cloud" are fast.  But unless one has 100 Mbs fiber connection, and no ISP data caps, restores can be painfully slow or stopped/capped by the ISP.

My WHS v1 is chugging along quite nicely with a 13 TB storage pool, a 4 bay 8 TB,  eSata backup DAS.  Server backup disk spanning (set up in the backup wizard) does not limit my backups to 2 TB.  After the first backup, Server Data backup takes less than 10 minutes.  Full data restore takes a little over 24 hours.  Try that from the cloud.  Impossible from WHS 2011 Server Backup Wizard.

Amen.  (Sermon is over!)

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    In other words, if you are a home user, then you had better have some degree of IT skills at your fingertips if you want to use Windows Server Foundation, assuming that it does contain all the necessary functionality. It certainly won�??t have the easy-to-use Wizards that will be present in the Essentials edition�?�

The upshot of all this is that Microsoft has essentially dropped the whole concept of a Home Server product, priced for the consumer market. I can�??t say that I�??m the least little bit surprised, the writing has been on the wall since the early days of the development of WHS 2011.

Exactly. The focus is now on "cloud" backup and the whole idea of a product for endusers has been abandoned.

One of the problems they've had all along was the inability to distinguish WHS from competitive products offered by disk makers.   From what I've seen, it was "IT enthusiasts" who actually appreciated the simplicity  and embraced a no-brainer solution for home backup. Almost all the WHS installations I know about were set up on discarded machines and just roll on with no real intervention.

From my own perspective, WHS got on the wrong path when it eliminated automatic dupication of shared folders. I bought WHS2011 but I'm still running 2003 because I haven't wanted to get involved in complicated machinations just to get my shared folders automatically covered.   I don't want to hear how people should have an all possible disaster plan, the 85% coverage that WHS provided was so far beyond what my relatives were using that it was easy to get them onboard. 

BullDawg
    Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:51 AM
  • The Cloud might be an answer for some folks, but for (the vast majority of?) other PC users "The Cloud" is no answer at all, at least when it comes to anything other than small pieces of data.

>unless one has 100 Mbs fiber connection, and no ISP data caps, restores can be painfully slow or stopped/capped by the ISP.

So true. I want fiber, but will never (ever. EVER.) get it where we live.

• Edited by maxblack Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:16 PM
    Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:16 PM
  • I'm sure that Microsoft has some metrics but I can't see how using a cloud based backup scheme makes economic sense for a household with more than a couple of clients.   $60/yr per machine works out to a significant chunk of change for someone with 3 -5 machines using the service for 3 or more years.  With WHS the user has a finite setup cost and it just runs until he unplugs it.

The WHS recovery process is remarkably fast and easy...and afterall, recovery is the whole point of backing up in the first place. 

Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:33 PM
  • I'm sorry that I read today that MS is reducing server models and Windows Home Server is not included in the future servers.

Nikorios

• Merged by Ken Warren Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:13 AM same topic
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:44 AM
  • See the other thread entitled "WHS - R.I.P."

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Meanwhile the beta has shown up, and I installed it on my "old" HP MediaSmart server. I must say that I am impressed. The product is all of WHS 2011 plus more. The client backup is as good as the one found in WHS 2011, also media streaming etc. work as before.

In addition we get the storage pools of Server 2012: Comparable with Drive Extender, but with more options. For three drives and more one can choose "parity", which is similar to RAID-5, but does not require equally sized disks. Unlike RAID-5, the pool can be extended at any time with additional disks.

Unlike WHS 2011, the server is a real domain controller. This means that I can have all users administered centrally, and no longer need to add myself (as the family's administrator) to all machines manually.

I actually might be willling to spend the $425, once the product is finalized...

Friday, July 13, 2012 6:52 PM
  • About Cloud backups. I'm using Skydrive and I noticed that it backups only the new or changed files. When I started it I had to leave my computer open for the night but nowadays the backups don't make very much time.

BR
    Nikorios

Nikorios

Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:48 AM
  • I actually might be willling to spend the $425, once the product is finalized...

I don't suppose there is ANY CHANCE that MS will have some sort of "trade-up" offer for us WHS users? Is there any precedent for such a thing?
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:59 PM
  • As an alternative I was looking at Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials. Although a very good plug in replacement for WHS 2011 if lacking some of the media features I have now found it is only available to royalty partners and not to be found anywhere even as an OEM package.

Microsoft have applied this restriction so that it can be optimised for their hardware?

25 years of loving (and too often hating) everything Microsoft.

Monday, July 16, 2012 1:21 PM
  • ... not to be found anywhere even as an OEM package.

Microsoft have applied this restriction so that it can be optimised for their hardware?

Western Digital has one in the US. I don't know if it's available in other countries, though.

And no, it's not to allow optimization. SSe is really Windows Home Server with the ability to support 25 users, and the ability to join an AD domain (but not to host one). I believe it was a "market exploration" if you will...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, July 16, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Microsoft have applied this restriction so that it can be optimised for their hardware?

Probably push back from the WHS v1 OEMs who no doubt bent their ear.  Luckily there are several vendors offering reasonable solutions - too bad you may have to duplicate some hardware you have to get a license - one of my favorites:  http://www.smallbizserver.com/store.php

Susan Bradly has some more vendors profiled on her most excellent blog under the WSS tag:  http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/tags/Windows+Storage+Server+R2+Essentials/default.aspx

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:56 PM