Blocked VLK, should i care? RRS feed

• Question

• bascially im a college student who has a computer who got a bunch of virus or whatever on it to make it run slow and no good. so, i sent to an asian man, got it back working great, cept for the whole vlk block thing. i dont get a desktop picture, so i can live with that. so,. do i really need to do anything. or can i just operate like this. i dont really care, i just need a computer to do things. im not broke, im in debt. so do i really need to shell out 150 bucks to a multi-billion dollar corpration just cuz its a politcaly correct thing to do. im not gonna, so now what... just leave it like it is. im cool with that.
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:00 PM

Answers

• Pluckt007,

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a reply in your original thread.

Also, please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) that may be affixed to your computer, or may have come with the retail packaging for your product if you purchased it at retail.  Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version or edition of Windows?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Many universities have free computer services for students, so you might want to find out if yours does.

In order to lessen your vulnerability to attack, you should do daily computing tasks while logged onto XP as a Limited User, and only log on as a Computer Administrator when the task at hand requires that level of privileges on the system.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Antron Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:18 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:13 AM

All replies

• Visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx  and click on Validate Windows.  If validation fails, an explanation will appear describing the problem and how to Get Genuine.

Also, please read: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.

P.S.  Would you "be cool with it" if someone who owes you money wrote you a bad check or gave you counterfeit money?  You might want to take an ethics class next semester if you have trouble understanding right from wrong.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Pluckt007,

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a reply in your original thread.

Also, please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) that may be affixed to your computer, or may have come with the retail packaging for your product if you purchased it at retail.  Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version or edition of Windows?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Many universities have free computer services for students, so you might want to find out if yours does.

In order to lessen your vulnerability to attack, you should do daily computing tasks while logged onto XP as a Limited User, and only log on as a Computer Administrator when the task at hand requires that level of privileges on the system.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Antron Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:18 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:13 AM
  • are u guys even reading what i wrote? i dont need to do all that validation stuff, i know this version is no good. what i want to know is, if i am fine. its been about a week, and everything seems to work normally so far. so, smart computer people out there, can i just operate with my "stolen" copy? will it malfunction or not transfer files or something. i dont know. anything that will prevent it from working properly. please, dont tell me to do all that vailidation stuff or certificate of authenticty stuff, i dont want to sound rude, but im not gonna do it. thanks for all the help everybody, much love. 
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:11 AM
  • o, and that 150 bucks, does that include like the powerpoint and word and all that stuff. whats that about. do i pay for those numbers? like a new key? that would be cool. recieving counterfiet xp sucks, now i got to deal with all this. is there a like 3 step way, or does it all have to take like 23 steps? i dont know, its running good so far.... cept for that inconvience of having to wait 5 seconds to go on. thats funny. i was like, o man, now i wait every time i i gotta do something. but then again, its only 5 seconds. so anyways, my computer never came with a load disk, just something that has like streets and trips, or whatever program i never use. so i have no money, no disk, and a jammed up computer. horray for me. 
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:48 AM
  • Pluckt007,

If your computer is a name-brand computer and has a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows on it, then it is most likely still licensed to run that version and edition of Windows.  If this is your situaion, quite often you can get the Reinstallation or Recovery CDs from the manufacturer for a nominal fee.  For example, Dell will provide their OS Reinstallation CD for $15 shipped, and eMachines provides theirs for $25 shipped.  Using the correct Reinstallation or Recovery CD will get your name-brand computer back to being Genuine.

If it's a home-built computer, or was built by a neighborhood computer shop and it does not have a CoA and you did not purchase a retail copy of Windows, then it's most likely not a genuine installation of Windows.  The cheapest way to get Genuine is to purchase a systembuilder/OEM copy of XP.  XP Home can be purchased for about $90 and XP Pro can be purchased for about $130 from trusted online retailers, such as newegg.com.

Microsoft has a GREAT deal on Office 2007 Ultimate Edition for $59.99 for enrolled college students.  Like the ad says that's a 91% discount off the regular price!

http://www.microsoft.com/education/howtobuystudents.mspx

As noted in the above link, you should check with the student services section of your U's IT department.  Quite often they provide computer services for free to enrolled students.  Also, many U's enter into agreements with Microsoft to provide licensed copies of XP, Vista, and Office to their students for free as part of the tuition.

If you are light on cash, a better choice than running pirated Windows and/or Office is to use open source software such as Linux and Open Office, which are free.  Ubuntu Linux is a very nice release of Linux.

If you run the diagnostic utility we mentioned before we can try to help you out more.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Dan! yes! i did buy it from dell. shipped or whatever. so if i buy that disk for 15 bucks, i could re-install the original copy? the o.g. stuff? i got 15 bucks, or i can get it. ill pawn the laptop. ha. but yeah, random asian guy didnt tell me all this b.s. was gonna go down. i guess i got what i paid for. so, i should call up dell and ask them whats up? id rather do the disk thing, but im not gonna really bend over backwards that much. i dunno im wierd, dont really care that much. but, if this is pretty easy to do it this way, then thats cool. ill just load all this stuff back onto the external harddrive. that's cool, i didn't know that. tell me more, let me know what's up. thanks Dan IT man. much love.

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:19 AM
  • Pluckt007,

If your Dell is less than three years old, it most likely came from Dell with a recovery partition.

What happens when people take their Dells to the local computer guy for reformatting, the computer guy might not use the recovery partition and might use a generic CD instead, and quite often they ham-handedly repartition the whole hard disk and wipe out the Dell-supplied recovery and diagnostic partitions.

To see what your computer has now, in Disk Management, look for three partitions on your primary hard disk drive.  One is a very small (around 30-35MB) partition, that will be the diagnostic partition.  The next will be the main C: partition.  The last will be a 4-5GB partition and this is the one that is the recovery partition.

The other thing you need is the custom Dell boot code that allows you to start the computer into these three partitions.  When you start/restart the Dell, after the Dell logo look for a medium blue bar with www.dell.com at the top of a blank screen.  This is programmed to display for two seconds.  During that two seconds, if you press CTRL + F11, you can access the program called "Dell PC Restore by Symantec" which is really a custom version of Ghost.

If you have the extra partitions and the blue bar, you will not need the Dell CD, you can run the recovery right from the computer.  It is much faster to do it from the recovery partition.

If you don't have the blue bar or the partition, you will have to get the OS Reinstallation CD from Dell to get the job done.
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:18 PM