Automatic shut down and start up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all
    Now I'm testing WHS and at this time it looks very nice. I'm missing a funktion in WHS to shut down and start up the server automatically. I mean that the server will be shut down at a inserted time in the settings menu and wake up and restart on another time automatically.

Thanks, greetings and take care
    Nico
    Friday, June 15, 2007 8:02 PM

All replies

•  

I agree, my Buffalo LinkStation has this feature and I love it. I have the ability to set times when my family and I will not need the server (late at night when we are sleeping) and have it hibernate and then come backup in the morning before I'm off for work. I love the feature because it allows me to limit the wear and tear of my unit, extending the life of the hard drive, fans and data not to mention conserving energy when not in use. I think it would be even more beneficial in WHS because of the possibility of multiple drives and much higher energy consumption. It seems to only make sense to turn something off when you know it will not be used and adding this timer functionality would do just the trick. If it’s not implemented, I would end up turning it off manually on my own and then probably wouldn't turn it back on until I needed it and that defeats the purpose. If it was automated it would be wonderful.

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:31 PM
  • WHS is designed to provide a variety of services in the home (backup, certain types of server maintenance, etc.), some of which should be performed during "off" hours. I'm pretty sure that's why there's no scheduled shutdown/startup option.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Hi Ken,

You say backup's are performed out of hours,  how is this done when the other machines are off,  what other 'server maintenence' are done out of hours...  Does it really need 7 hours while I sleep and also the time I'm at work ?  This would be a really cool feature and allow microsoft to say that they are protecting peoples investment / data and also saving the plant...

cheers

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 12:06 AM
  • If your client PCs are configured to use standby (S1/S3), then the WHS connector will wake them to perform a backup and they will go back into standby according to their power settings. This relies on proper configuration of your client PCs, which is outside of Microsoft's control.

Other server maintenance includes cleaning up the backup database, installing patches, disk checks, etc. And while WHS probably doesn't need to be on all day while you're at work, it probably does need to be on when you go to visit the grandparents and you want to show them some family photos or video. WHS can't really tell the difference between the two...
    Wednesday, October 3, 2007 2:49 AM
  • Hi!

You can use the "Scheduled Tasks" to send your server into hibernate by running "shutdown.exe -h -f" at e.g. 01:00 AM. Next you create another Task that simply does nothing (e.g. run a batch file with nothing in it), then go to Properties -> Settings and check "Wake the computer to run this task". This will wake up the server from hibernate!

Hope this helps..

Regards, Alex

Thursday, October 4, 2007 8:01 PM
  • Hi Alex,

This sounds what I want I'll give it a go,  have you done this yourself ?

Saturday, October 6, 2007 9:42 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply,  I don't think I would ever leave a machine on standby to allow the backup todo it's job and as this is another config I would perfer to leave it doing it backups when it see's the machine on the network.

Yes I can see those maintenance are very important and need to be done but could these be done when I'm at work and this would allow the machine hibernate say 1am to 7am giving 6 hr on electricity savings.  From a reply I know this could be done with batch jobs etc...  but it would be really nice to have GUI.

This would give access from 7am to 1am,  when I likely to want access from work and grandparents etc...

cheers

Ian

Saturday, October 6, 2007 9:58 AM
  •  

I hope someone can help me a bit on the Scheduled Tasks.

Everytime I try and use scheduled tasks to hibernate WHS it just ignors it and runs as usual. I've tried C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe, C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -h and C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -h -f and none of them hibernate or shutdown WHS. I run it as administrator and use the WHS console password and the password for the task to run.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? I just want to get it to hibernate and I'll worry about the wake task later.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Joe

Friday, November 2, 2007 11:35 PM
  • You enable hibernate mode?

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:18 PM
  • I had exactly the same issue.  I tried the advice given here using the startup.exe program.  The scheduled task would run for a split second.  The feedback in the scheduled task window would say that the task ran successfully, but nothing happened.  And yes, I have hiberation enabled.

I solved it not by running startup.exe, but by running rundll32.exe.  Follow all the advice given here, but change your run command to the following:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate

Leave everything else in your task the same and this should do the trick.  Of course, you must enable hibernation in the control panel as has been advised.

Good luck,
    Randy
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 6:27 AM
  • Thanks for the update! I must admit I had given up on this issue but I will try your suggested run command when I get a chance. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 6:07 PM
  • I found that suspending or putting WHS into hibernate didn't really work out since it wakes up on it's own every 20-30 minutes;  I developed a somewhat involved workaround to this and another issue.  Rather than duplicate my explanation here you can find it in this thread.  I understand WHS performs various tasks (between 5pm and 9am should be more than sufficient to do whatever it needs to) but I decided that I prefer the benefits of having WHS sleep Mon-Fri during working hours shouldn't have any adverse effect nor cause an issue during my infrequent outings to grandparents
    Monday, January 7, 2008 9:31 PM