Sata Raid card or simply a controller? RRS feed

• Question

• Do we need to rely on any of the functions of a Sata internal raid card with WHS or since the drives are pooled and we loose that redunddace the raid card provides is it simpler to go with an additional pci controller to add additional sata drives?

I have had it up an running since the first days of the Beta and am looking forward to the final product. I am begining the build on the next one and any where I can save money, I will put into the storage disks.

Thanks for your replies.

currently on a p4, 2 gb, with 1.5 terrabytes of storage on a home gigabit network.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:25 PM

Answers

•  rlampky wrote:

Do we need to rely on any of the functions of a Sata internal raid card with WHS or since the drives are pooled and we loose that redunddace the raid card provides is it simpler to go with an additional pci controller to add additional sata drives?

I have had it up an running since the first days of the Beta and am looking forward to the final product. I am begining the build on the next one and any where I can save money, I will put into the storage disks.

Thanks for your replies.

currently on a p4, 2 gb, with 1.5 terrabytes of storage on a home gigabit network.

If the onboard ports support RAID, (you don't have to use RAID) it doesn't matter, all that matters with WHS is if you have enough ports. So, if you're adding SATA ports, RAID isn't necessary but if it has RAID, it wont hurt anything either.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:52 PM