Creating different filters for different clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I am trying to Sync between central data server with 3 clients and I want each clinet to see specific data based upon the filter as required.Is there any way to do this in the Sync Framework.

Thanks in Advance
    Archan
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:24 AM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hello. I use SQL express and on client side SQL CE.

Here's some sample: 

on Server: 

public class: PhotoServerSyncProvider : DbServerSyncProvider

{

public PhotoServerSyncProvider()
    {

SqlSyncAdapterBuilder newsBuilder = new SqlSyncAdapterBuilder(serverConn);

newsBuilder.TableName = "dbo.documentationCategory";
            newsBuilder.ChangeTrackingType = ChangeTrackingType.SqlServerChangeTracking;
            newsBuilder.SyncDirection = SyncDirection.Bidirectional;

SqlParameter filterParameter = new SqlParameter("@Institution_ID", SqlDbType.UniqueIdentifier);

string pictureFilterClause = "Institution_ID=@Institution_ID";

newsBuilder.FilterClause = pictureFilterClause;
            newsBuilder.FilterParameters.Add(filterParameter);

SyncAdapter newsSyncAdapter = newsBuilder.ToSyncAdapter();
            newsSyncAdapter.TableName = "documentationCategory";

this.SyncAdapters.Add(newsSyncAdapter);
        }
    }

on client: 

public class PhotoSyncAgent : SyncAgent
        {
            public PhotoSyncAgent(TableCreationOption creationOptions)
            {

this.LocalProvider = new PhotoClientSyncProvider();

ServiceReference.PhotoServiceClient serviceProxy = new ServiceReference.PhotoServiceClient();
                    this.RemoteProvider = new ServerSyncProviderProxy(serviceProxy);

SyncTable documentationCategory = new SyncTable("documentationCategory");
                    documentationCategory.CreationOption = TableCreationOption.DropExistingOrCreateNewTable;
                    documentationCategory.SyncDirection = SyncDirection.Bidirectional;
                    documentationCategory.SyncGroup = new SyncGroup("documentationCategory");
                    this.Configuration.SyncTables.Add(documentationCategory);
    this.Configuration.SyncParameters.Add( new SyncParameter("@Institution_ID", Utility.InstitutionID));
         }
    }

so Server in my case is located on WCF side and I have a proxy generated for that, it works great!

C# developer
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:09 AM

All replies

• Yes, in the Sync Framework 1.0 you can use Row filtering to only sync items you want to. The source provider should understand the destination's filter, so it can correctly only enumerate items that qualify the destination filter.

However, do note the the replica knowledge size will grow proportional to the number of items in the filter.

With the Sync Framework 2.0 CTP2, you can use custom filters, which have compact knowledge representation, and allow the providers to track move-outs/ins of items from the filter.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Can you please provide me with some code example of differnt clients using different filter parameters to get the data from the central server.....

Thank
    Archan
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:07 AM
  • I have used SYNC fine, and now I used filter passing from client to server

on server I have 

SqlParameter filterParameter = new SqlParameter("@Institution_ID", SqlDbType.UniqueIdentifier);

string customerFilterClause = "Institution_ID=@Institution_ID";
            customerBuilder.FilterClause = customerFilterClause;
            customerBuilder.FilterParameters.Add(filterParameter);

and on client I have : 

internal class PhotoSyncAgent : SyncAgent
        {
            public PhotoSyncAgent()
            { 

ServiceReference.PhotoServiceClient serviceProxy = new ServiceReference.PhotoServiceClient();

SyncTable depsSyncTable = new SyncTable("department");
                depsSyncTable.CreationOption = TableCreationOption.DropExistingOrCreateNewTable;
                depsSyncTable.SyncDirection = SyncDirection.DownloadOnly;            

this.Configuration.SyncTables.Add(depsSyncTable);
                this.Configuration.SyncParameters.Add(
                     new SyncParameter("@Institution_ID", new Guid("248a1343-decb-45a5-906f-2fa4d17f8d76")));
            }

getting such exception: {"Cannot enumerate changes at the DbServerSyncProvider for table 'department' in synchronization group 'department'."}
    PS. I use SQL Server Change Tracking System, Institution_ID - is FK to institution table

any ideas? 

C# developer
    ok, guys I fiex issue, I used TombstoneFilterClause also, but I think it's redundant since I dont have Tombstone tables, I use SQL Server tracking. 

Now here's another issue when I have data already in server table I try to sync with client table, I get all of the rows from there. so filtering doesnt work. 
    but it works after that first sync. so if I add new records to database, it will be synced afterwards. 
    Question. How should I setup my local database in order to filter values not depending on time created? 
     pS. for now I see only a way, to supply a copy of database to end user aldready syncronized with server when server DB was empty. in this case I wont receive redundant data. but It can give me some troubles in future when we will try to change database(in case of new versions).

C# developer
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 1:19 PM
  • Thank you a lot..
    Sorry for late reply...

I think you have implemented N-tier Synchronization.
    Can you please let me know as a backend you have used SQL CE or SQL Express  ?

If SQL Express can you please prive ne with some code-block as I am also trying to do the same...
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Hello. I use SQL express and on client side SQL CE.

Here's some sample: 

on Server: 

public class: PhotoServerSyncProvider : DbServerSyncProvider

{

public PhotoServerSyncProvider()
    {

SqlSyncAdapterBuilder newsBuilder = new SqlSyncAdapterBuilder(serverConn);

newsBuilder.TableName = "dbo.documentationCategory";
            newsBuilder.ChangeTrackingType = ChangeTrackingType.SqlServerChangeTracking;
            newsBuilder.SyncDirection = SyncDirection.Bidirectional;

string pictureFilterClause = "Institution_ID=@Institution_ID";

newsBuilder.FilterClause = pictureFilterClause;
            newsBuilder.FilterParameters.Add(filterParameter);

SyncAdapter newsSyncAdapter = newsBuilder.ToSyncAdapter();
            newsSyncAdapter.TableName = "documentationCategory";

this.SyncAdapters.Add(newsSyncAdapter);
        }
    }

on client: 

public class PhotoSyncAgent : SyncAgent
        {
            public PhotoSyncAgent(TableCreationOption creationOptions)
            {

SyncTable documentationCategory = new SyncTable("documentationCategory");
                    documentationCategory.CreationOption = TableCreationOption.DropExistingOrCreateNewTable;
                    documentationCategory.SyncDirection = SyncDirection.Bidirectional;
                    documentationCategory.SyncGroup = new SyncGroup("documentationCategory");
                    this.Configuration.SyncTables.Add(documentationCategory);
    this.Configuration.SyncParameters.Add( new SyncParameter("@Institution_ID", Utility.InstitutionID));
         }
    }

so Server in my case is located on WCF side and I have a proxy generated for that, it works great!

C# developer
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:09 AM
  • Thanks a Lot...

Archan
    Friday, October 9, 2009 10:34 AM