Trouble with USB Disk and Backup Storage Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have installed a 250GB USB disk and added it to the Backup Storage Hard Drives pool (as opposed to the Storage Hard Drives pool).  My problem is that after an indeterminate period of time, the USB disk drops out of the backup pool and begins to report itself as Not Added / Non Storage Hard Drive.  I've searched around on this issue and have not found anything.  Any help is welcome and much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    are there any power save settings active for the USB controller? Maybe also, that the drive itself spins down for saving power and thus going disconnected.
    What kind of drive is it? If 2.5" without own power supply it could also be, that the drive is not getting enough power from the USB port and so ticks out.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Hi and thanks for the reply.  The hardware is an HP MediaSmart EX470.  I don't see any specific settings for power down on the controller, and the power management options are set to never turn off the hard drives. 

The disk is a standard 3.5" installed in an external USB case with seperate power supply. 

Thanks!
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Unfortunately it seems also often the case, that the electronic in such enclosures is as cheap as possible and so brings its own weaknesses. What you described, could be a result of such a weakness.
    Do you have still an empty disk tray in your HP?
    Can you open the enclosure and remove the disk from it (if it is SATA) and put it into the disk tray?
    Would it work stable there?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 1:12 PM