Business Units now seeing ALL contacts RRS feed

• Question

• I have two business units - Business Unit A and Business Unit B. I have the security roles set so A should not see B's contacts and B cannot see A's contacts in Active Contacts. In theory. I have reverted the security role to that of Salesperson (default) for each user. And right now A CAN see B's contacts and visa versa. I have altered a version of the Contact form to to have multiple users as owners. What am I doing wrong? Could the form affect the business units/roles and how they display?

Thanks!
    Joy

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In CRM 2011 two types of record ownership exsisted:

1. Single User based record ownership (2 users can not be onwer or unless they are in a CRM Team) or Team based record ownership

2. Organization based record ownership

If you have created two different forms i.e. 1 for Business Unit A and 2 for Business Unit B then if you will assign Business Unit A users security role to the form a and Business Unit B users security role to the form B then CRM will open contact record form A to Business Units A users and open contact record form B to Business Units B users.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    • Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Friday, June 24, 2011 3:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by joydidit Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:00 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 3:45 PM
  • A few things to check:

1. Have the contacts been shared?
    2. The SalesPerson security role is configured to have only "basic" (user) depth access to contacts (read)?
    3. Are there any teams involved in the mix? (if so, do the teams have security roles)? Do users belong to these teams?

As Jehanzeb points out, a contact cannot be owned by multiple users, only ONE user or ONE team can own a contact. Also, forms have no effect on security / access privileges.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Monday, June 27, 2011 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In CRM 2011 two types of record ownership exsisted:

1. Single User based record ownership (2 users can not be onwer or unless they are in a CRM Team) or Team based record ownership

2. Organization based record ownership

If you have created two different forms i.e. 1 for Business Unit A and 2 for Business Unit B then if you will assign Business Unit A users security role to the form a and Business Unit B users security role to the form B then CRM will open contact record form A to Business Units A users and open contact record form B to Business Units B users.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    • Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Friday, June 24, 2011 3:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by joydidit Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:00 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 3:45 PM
  • A few things to check:

1. Have the contacts been shared?
    2. The SalesPerson security role is configured to have only "basic" (user) depth access to contacts (read)?
    3. Are there any teams involved in the mix? (if so, do the teams have security roles)? Do users belong to these teams?

As Jehanzeb points out, a contact cannot be owned by multiple users, only ONE user or ONE team can own a contact. Also, forms have no effect on security / access privileges.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Monday, June 27, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Thank you both for your kind replies. I got it to work by adjusting the filters for the All Contacts view coupled with adjustments to the security role. I also created a series of fields that associate with users so it looks like we have multiple owners for the contact. Appearance is everything for my users.

Again, thank you.

Joy

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:00 PM