kb971033 now auto installs without permission? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, Just a quick question about what is going on with Windows Update?.. 

I recently got a new Dell laptop and as usual it was loaded with crapware.  After fresh installing Win 7 from MSDN sp1 iso, activating over the phone, and updating everything except the malware type kb971033, The thing has auto installed by itself after 2 days even when WU was set to ask before doing anything.

I thought i had made a mistake so restored it to an image i made just after getting the new install running...  The same thing happened again after 2 days of having WU turned to ask before doing anything..

When did the policy change for pushing this calling home malware secretly onto peoples computers even when they say no?  Ive been using Win 7 for years at work and on my home desktop and have always skipped and hidden the kb971033 update as i dont like suspicious spyware/malware type apps that call home and sent my info over the internet.

After checking on both pc in house the thing has auto installed even tho a while ago i remember it was an optional update and WU wouldnt do anything without asking.  When did the change happen to control the computer like a bot and get it to download things that were explicitly told not to do and blocked in the WU interface?

Is it a bug with WU or just another ploy to get people to download more crapware bloat to their pc's?

Sunday, June 17, 2012 12:55 PM

Answers

• I have to say that your reaction is paranoid - the only reason that I do not have the update installed in my VM's is that I need to be able to repro the results of failing WGA testing with and without the update installed (I have the update on the desktop on the VM's concerned).

If you have a legitimate copy of Windwos, there is no good reason for not installing the update. It checks the system at random intervals up to 90 days apart, and no user-identifiable data is sent 'home', while it does provide a certain amount of assuarnce that the system is still owned by the person in front of the keyboard.

I suspect that ANYthing that requires validation will require the installation of the WAT update - if you don't like it, you can always use another OS, or immediately uninstall it afterwards.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:13 PM

All replies

• "bobbobson" wrote in message news:cd84d995-2d3d-453d-8091-9ec8c497964e...

Hi there, Just a quick question about what is going on with Windows Update?.. 

I recently got a new Dell laptop and as usual it was loaded with crapware.  After fresh installing Win 7 from MSDN sp1 iso, activating over the phone, and updating everything except the malware type kb971033, The thing has auto installed by itself after 2 days even when WU was set to ask before doing anything.

I thought i had made a mistake so restored it to an image i made just after getting the new install running...  The same thing happened again after 2 days of having WU turned to ask before doing anything..

When did the policy change for pushing this calling home malware secretly onto peoples computers even when they say no?  Ive been using Win 7 for years at work and on my home desktop and have always skipped and hidden the kb971033 update as i dont like suspicious spyware/malware type apps that call home and sent my info over the internet.

After checking on both pc in house the thing has auto installed even tho a while ago i remember it was an optional update and WU wouldnt do anything without asking.  When did the change happen to control the computer like a bot and get it to download things that were explicitly told not to do and blocked in the WU interface?

Is it a bug with WU or just another ploy to get people to download more crapware bloat to their pc's?

As far as I am aware, KB971033 still requires permission to install - but it may depend on your WU settings.
    - certainly I have a number of VM's all of which are without the WAT Update (but I do tend to switch updates to notify but not download) and it has never yet installed without my specific request

I install the update on ALL bare-metal machines I come into contact with to ensure compliance.

What you maybe seeing is the result of Validation - validating at www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate results in the installation of LegitCheck ActiveX controls and also installs the WAT Update if allowed.

What is your objection to installing it?  It can easily be uninstalled from the Installed Updates listing.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:32 PM
  • I double checked and its nothing to do with the WU options.  On both computers its set to ask only and looking through the update logs, KB971033 has installed itself without permission and was the only update installed at that time.  I always do updates once a month and can see the other batches of updates, yet this WAT update installs randomly by itself at another time not related to when im doing WU myself.

The reason i dont install the WAT update, probably for same reasons as yourself, is because its not a security fix, performance fix or other enhancement.  It calls home like some spyware/RAT and sends collected info to Microsoft.  It does nothing except spy on people and having this behavior, even if stamped by MS, doesnt change the fact its spyware/malware.

As i activated over the phone i never seen the website you listed so it wouldnt have been that thats installed it.

I also doubt uninstalling it will work as if its a forced update, it will just redownload when it feels like.

This didnt happen a while ago as i always skip it and it used to just sit in the WU menu not installed or hidden out of view.  Im just curious why MS changed its stance since the updates spyware/malware type behavior is now getting forced onto peoples computers whether they want it or not.  Is it just another part of MS planned obsolescence to ruin Win 7 to force people onto the game console Os Win 8?

It might be worth checking yourself to see if its auto installed as its behavior has only been changed recently.

• Edited by bobbobson Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:16 PM
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:09 PM
  • I have to say that your reaction is paranoid - the only reason that I do not have the update installed in my VM's is that I need to be able to repro the results of failing WGA testing with and without the update installed (I have the update on the desktop on the VM's concerned).

If you have a legitimate copy of Windwos, there is no good reason for not installing the update. It checks the system at random intervals up to 90 days apart, and no user-identifiable data is sent 'home', while it does provide a certain amount of assuarnce that the system is still owned by the person in front of the keyboard.

I suspect that ANYthing that requires validation will require the installation of the WAT update - if you don't like it, you can always use another OS, or immediately uninstall it afterwards.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:13 PM

Actually, he's not being paranoid, and you're just plain rude.

I checked the 4 computers in my house, all are set to "Never check for updates", all have KB 971033 installed, which I've intentionally avoided installing because of past negative experiences with activation issues, as I frequently upgrade/test hardware.

So a little professionalism, and a LOT less dogmatic arrogance is definitely called for on your part.

Also, you could pull your head out and do a simple Google search and see clearly that this is something that's been going on for a while now.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:45 AM
  •  - and you should do some effective Googling - and discover that in almost all cases the problem lies not with KB971033, but with other software problems on the system which installing the update (properly!) has brought to light.

No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:48 AM
  • There are many, many reasons why someone would not want a particular update installed on their computer. You yourself have given one reason for be circumspect about updates and it is not at all uncommon for certain updates to cause problems a user does not want.  Setting aside for the moment the particular update (KB971033), does Microsoft install updates (or anything else) without permission?

I do not think the OP was at all paranoid when he noticed an update on his computer that he specifically requested not be installed and I think your logic is no different than law-enforcement asking to search your car and saying, "If there's nothing illegal inside, you should have no issue with us looking around." when you refuse.

I think it unconscionable Microsoft would make changes to someone's personal property without permission but I understand you and others may be OK with it so let's not debate that point.  Can you tell me:  Does Microsoft install updates (or anything else) on a private citizen's, non-networked, personal computer?  If you don't know the answer, will you direct me to someone who does?

Saturday, January 25, 2014 4:43 PM
  • This thread is 18 months old.

Validation will itself install the KB971033 update if you use the default method - whatever the WU setting. It can still be uninstalled afterwards.

MS cannot install updates unless a machine is connected in some way to the internet.

There are a few updates which will be delivered and installed pretty much whatever the Windows Updates settings, although these are few, they tend to be the more critical for the Windows Update service itself. An example is the Windows Update Agent, which is installed by default when you run a Check for updates, if it's not already installed. It is possible to cancel the installation - but then you'd never get any updates.

If you read the License Agreement to which you agree when your first install Windows, MS has the right to do this - If you objected to that, then you should have turned own the agreement, uninstalled Windows, and claimed a refund.

...from the Windows 7 Home Premium Retail License ....

5b The software will from time to time perform a validation check of the software.

The check may be initiated by the software or Microsoft.

To enable the activation function and validation checks, the software may from time to time require updates or additional downloads of the validation, licensing or activation functions of the software.

The updates or downloads are required for the proper functioning of the software and may be downloaded and installed without further notice to you.

During or after a validation check, the software may send information about the software, the computer and the results of the validation check to Microsoft.

This information includes, for example, the version and product key of the software, any unauthorized changes made to the validation, licensing or activation functions of the software, any related malicious or unauthorized software found and the Internet protocol address of the computer.

Microsoft does not use the information to identify or contact you. By using the software, you consent to the transmission of this information.

For more information about validation and what is sent during or after a validation check, see go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=104611. .... .... 7a. Consent for Internet-Based Services. The software features described below and in the Windows 7 Privacy Statement connect to Microsoft or service provider computer systems over the Internet.

In some cases, you will not receive a separate notice when they connect. In some cases, you may switch off these features or not use them.

For more information about these features, see the Windows 7 Privacy Statement at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104604.

By using these features, you consent to the transmission of this information.

Microsoft does not use the information to identify or contact you. ... · Windows Update.

To enable the proper functioning of the Windows Update service in the software (if you use it), updates or downloads to the Windows Update service will be required from time to time and downloaded and installed without further notice to you. ....

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:30 PM

Saturday, March 8, 2014 12:02 PM