Good System for WHS from Dell. $279 for good WHS computer. RRS feed

• General discussion

• As with many of you, I have WHS on a old system and while it works, I am concerned that the hardware itself may die. I found a deal off of Dell. A Dimension E521n for $279 . Right now they have a deal where you get 1 gig memory upgrade for free. It only has a 80 gig hard drive, but plenty of space to put a few more in. Looks like a really good deal, even though it will be way overpowered for WHS.

Link: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bdcwban&s=bsd

Specs:

Dell Dimension E521N AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3600+
    Operating System FreeDOS™ included in the box, ready to install
    Memory FREE Upgrade! 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
    Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard
    Monitor No Monitor
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
    Hard Drive 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    Floppy Drive and Media Reader No Floppy Drive Included
    Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse
    Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
    Modem No Modem
    CD ROM/DVD ROM 16X DVD ROM Drive
    Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
    Warranty & Service 1 Year On-site Economy Plan
    Miscellaneous E521N

Monday, June 4, 2007 5:06 PM

All replies

• Can't find the deal!

Rufus Roper

Monday, June 4, 2007 9:12 PM
  • I located it, thank you.

Rufus Roper

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 2:48 AM
  • I have a similar system in use for WHS. I havea a Sempron processor, 512 MB and some different drives. The only "problem" I had was that the network drivers were not included in the CTP build so I had to manually add them.

It has four SATA ports, two will not be in use. There are no ATA ports at all. It does have a number of USB ports however I do not have any external drives hooked up.

When operating the system is very quiet.

I would buy one of these systems again.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 5:28 PM
  • I've installed my WHS on a old 2,4 Celeron Dell Dimension 2400 with 1 GB RAM and 60GB HD. For beta and CTP good enough.

I plan to install a Samsung Spinpoint ATA-133 400GB for RC/RTM version and to buy one or two Western Digital "My Book" external HDs.

Do some others use MyBooks, already?

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 9:10 PM
  • I'm running the CTP on a Dimension 2400 Pentium 4 2.66ghz, with only 512MB of RAM and it's running great. This system will be more than enough to run windows home server. As for your question, at work we use MyBooks, but I have not used one on a home server. The drives are great and I'm sure they'd work on a home server.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 6:00 AM