HP Mediasmart Server - detailed photos fanspeed, temperature RRS feed

All replies

• Very nice, doesn't look like there is much room to expand the hardware specs (as expected with something so small). However swapping for some more RAM doesn't doesn't look like it would be too difficult. I was thinking maybe putting in a single 1GB stick since the minimum requirements is 512MB.
    Friday, November 9, 2007 11:34 PM
  • Hopefully this is a kind of common sparpart and not something very exotic. I would take a 2GB module to be prepared

for the change of the OS to 64bit (hopefully in WHS v2)...?

Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:06 AM
  • well the spec for the HP system says it is just a PC2-5300 667Mhz unbuffered Ram so i don't really see what could be different about the stick of ram.
    Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:57 AM
  •  

I didnt see any video headers on the motherboard picture.

so if you ever want to upgrade this thing you would have to wait for HP to release software updates.

I love this hp server but dont think its good enough for a power user.

I do however like that the RAM is easily upgradable.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 11:19 AM
  • Jasok, the video header is likely the one in the upper right, with 15 pins.

As for being good for a "power user" it would be useless as a workstation, you're right. But that's not the intended target market. It's supposed to be a small headless device that sits in a corner and does a few things very well.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:37 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Jasok, the video header is likely the one in the upper right, with 15 pins.

As for being good for a "power user" it would be useless as a workstation, you're right. But that's not the intended target market. It's supposed to be a small headless device that sits in a corner and does a few things very well.

Hi Ken

Yeah i know its intended market.

I was just hoping to run a virtual server on it as well.

For what I intend I just need to upgrade the RAM

I was concerned about the lack of video header incase of you want to install WHS v2 on it one day and HP didnt release an update.

But if those 15 pins is it then its a safer bet than it was before.

Cheers

Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:04 PM
  •  jasok wrote:

Ken Warren wrote:

Hi Ken

Yeah i know its intended market.

I was just hoping to run a virtual server on it as well.

For what I intend I just need to upgrade the RAM

I was concerned about the lack of video header incase of you want to install WHS v2 on it one day and HP didnt release an update.

But if those 15 pins is it then its a safer bet than it was before.

Cheers

I feel kinda dumb asking this (I should probably know this), how can the video header be used and why would it be helpful to upgrade to a non-HP WHS v2 install?

thx
    Monday, November 12, 2007 4:00 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

Those headers seem to be coming off of the southbridge, my guess that those are for serial and PS/2. If the video headers are on the top of the board it would have to be in the 26 pin connector just below the northbridge (although I'm not sure why it has so many pins).

Monday, November 12, 2007 8:49 PM
  •  Spud387 wrote:
    I feel kinda dumb asking this (I should probably know this), how can the video header be used and why would it be helpful to upgrade to a non-HP WHS v2 install?

thx

This is Helpfull because you can open the case and plug a special video cable into the header giving you access to the computers Bios and allowing you to do an install of a different OS

Cheers Jason

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:13 AM