Connector Problems on 64 bit windows vista RRS feed

• Question

• I just setup the 120 day trial of WHS. However I am unable to install the connector on my Vista system. I have no problem installing it on an XP system. The Connector completes the Joining Windows Home server step fine but fails on the Configuring backup step. The only solution I have seen is to go back to an older version of WHS but that does not support 64 bit windows. I have tried turning off all firewalls and it makes no difference. WHS must to configured ok since the Connector install without a problem on my XP system. Any ideas?
    Monday, September 29, 2008 1:20 AM

Answers

• mrjrose said:

I get many popup windows stating "Windows Home Server Connector Service stopped working and was closed". When it finally gives up, it says the following in the Connector install window:

Ensure that your home server is powered on and connected to the network.
    Try again, click Back. If the problem persists, contact Product Support.

Please submit a bug via Connect and we will work with you. If you are not already in the Windows Home Server program, you will have to register and join. Once you have, please submit the bug in the feedback section.

Edit: (removed the table) I just realized that you said you shut down your firewall. I missed that the first time.

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, September 29, 2008 7:08 PM

All replies

• mrjrose said:

I just setup the 120 day trial of WHS. However I am unable to install the connector on my Vista system. I have no problem installing it on an XP system. The Connector completes the Joining Windows Home server step fine but fails on the Configuring backup step. The only solution I have seen is to go back to an older version of WHS but that does not support 64 bit windows. I have tried turning off all firewalls and it makes no difference. WHS must to configured ok since the Connector install without a problem on my XP system. Any ideas?

Hi,

What is the exact error are you receiving?

Thank you

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:09 AM
  • I get many popup windows stating "Windows Home Server Connector Service stopped working and was closed". When it finally gives up, it says the following in the Connector install window:

Monday, September 29, 2008 3:41 AM
  • I've been running Vista64 with WHS for over a month now and I've not experienced a single problem. I have the retail (OEM) version and not the Eval version, though. I also have PowerPack1 and all patches installed. No A/V or firewalls installed at all, no S/W from MacAfee or Symantec on the PC at all.
    Art Zasadny
    Monday, September 29, 2008 1:58 PM
  • mrjrose said:

I get many popup windows stating "Windows Home Server Connector Service stopped working and was closed". When it finally gives up, it says the following in the Connector install window:

Please submit a bug via Connect and we will work with you. If you are not already in the Windows Home Server program, you will have to register and join. Once you have, please submit the bug in the feedback section.

Edit: (removed the table) I just realized that you said you shut down your firewall. I missed that the first time.

Monday, September 29, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Does the trial have Power Pack1, if not that would be the issue?
    Monday, September 29, 2008 9:37 PM